Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Help! - Fishing off Altona

Post by Lightningx » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:44 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:40 pm
When targeting flathead specifically with bait i like to use a paternoster rig (single or double) and stick the rods out the side of the boat rather than out the back as you would for snapper and just drop the bait straight down off the side until the sinker just hits the bottom.

Flathead are ambush predators so my theory is that with the rocking movement of the boat the sinkers are bouncing up and down on the bottom as you drift along, hopefully causing little puffs of sand which get the flatties attention.

I have had a lot more success with this method compared to dragging a bait that has been cast away from the boat.
That’s not a bad idea.
Will give it a go next time I’m out drifting for some flatties!
Cheers :thumbsup:

Bartnmax

Post by Bartnmax » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:17 pm

Hey Jeremy. For starters you need to get an understanding of the bay topography off Altona. Basically Altona Bay (from Altona to Pt Cook) is fairly flat, relatively shallow, and mixed sand/grass. There are some reefy areas, mainly at the Seaholme end & close to the shoreline (extending out 1/2 to 1km offshore as well as off Point Cook.. Now species. Snapper inhabit both reefy areas as well as mud bottom. Whiting prefer sand/weed. Flatties generally prefer sandy areas around weed. Gummys are transient & will come & go. So, my advice is; if you want to target snapper then you have to find those reef/muddy areas. The reef directly off Millers rod, going round the corner to the cardinal stick, is a prime areas for snapper. You'll also get snapper further offshore in an area known as the 2 pier mark. This is where the Altona pier & the old Ammo Pier (used to be off Maidstone st) intersect. The reef around Pt Cook is also prime snapper country as well. For whiting I's suggest the best areas are along the sand/weed shores between Altona & Pt Cook, whilst flatties can be fairly easily taken drifing through the bay a km or 2 out. If you have a sounder then that gives you another tool in yer arsenal. Look for arches that are spread out a bit like cows feeding in a field. If they're bunched up then chance is they're schooling to leave the area. You might get good fishing for a short while but they could also disappear before you get your anchor down. Fish for snapper mainly an hr either side of sunrise & sunset. For whiting the tide is more important. Fish an hr or so either side of the ebb tide (when the tide slackens prior to turning. Flatties are pretty much an all-the-time proposition.

Bartnmax

Post by Bartnmax » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:21 pm

My usual method of targeting flatties is to fish an active padanoster rig out the side whilst at the same time I like to have a soft plastic minor (3-4 inches) just dragging along the bottom as the boat drifts along. You'll tend to get more on the padanostor with bait, but the fish you get on the SP tend to be bigger in my experience.

JeremyG
Has liked: 2 times

Post by JeremyG » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:00 pm

Hey thanks for your responses and great intel. Really appreciated!

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:56 pm

Bartnmax wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:17 pm
Hey Jeremy. For starters you need to get an understanding of the bay topography off Altona. Basically Altona Bay (from Altona to Pt Cook) is fairly flat, relatively shallow, and mixed sand/grass. There are some reefy areas, mainly at the Seaholme end & close to the shoreline (extending out 1/2 to 1km offshore as well as off Point Cook.. Now species. Snapper inhabit both reefy areas as well as mud bottom. Whiting prefer sand/weed. Flatties generally prefer sandy areas around weed. Gummys are transient & will come & go. So, my advice is; if you want to target snapper then you have to find those reef/muddy areas. The reef directly off Millers rod, going round the corner to the cardinal stick, is a prime areas for snapper. You'll also get snapper further offshore in an area known as the 2 pier mark. This is where the Altona pier & the old Ammo Pier (used to be off Maidstone st) intersect. The reef around Pt Cook is also prime snapper country as well. For whiting I's suggest the best areas are along the sand/weed shores between Altona & Pt Cook, whilst flatties can be fairly easily taken drifing through the bay a km or 2 out. If you have a sounder then that gives you another tool in yer arsenal. Look for arches that are spread out a bit like cows feeding in a field. If they're bunched up then chance is they're schooling to leave the area. You might get good fishing for a short while but they could also disappear before you get your anchor down. Fish for snapper mainly an hr either side of sunrise & sunset. For whiting the tide is more important. Fish an hr or so either side of the ebb tide (when the tide slackens prior to turning. Flatties are pretty much an all-the-time proposition.
Excellent post Bartnmax :thumbsup:

Sebb
Has liked: 3009 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:09 pm

Planning to go there Sunday morning on the kayak. Any suggestions where I should start to look for whitings and flathead?
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Tim399

Post by Tim399 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:49 am

Seb85 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:09 pm
Planning to go there Sunday morning on the kayak. Any suggestions where I should start to look for whitings and flathead?
Have you read any of this thread at all?

Sebb
Has liked: 3009 times

Post by Sebb » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:52 am

Tim399 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:49 am
Seb85 wrote:
I did Tim, twice. Doesn't really say the distance.
Weed bed between Altona to Point Cook is a lot of open areas. I'll be on a kayak, so I'll be very limited. There is no way I'm paddling Altona - Point Cook, and need to be in safe distance from the shore.
I'm hoping something like "start with 100m off Altona Pier to the east"
Much appreciated if anyone is willing to share, if none, it's all good, no need to say anything.
Last edited by Sebb on Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Tim399

Post by Tim399 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:13 am

You can always have a look on google earth or google maps for where there is weed/sand channels/reef, etc. often this is the best way to find new spots. Also check out vyak - has a lot of port Phillip bay kayaking launch spots, what fish to expect and how to fish the area

j_pap

Post by j_pap » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:04 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:52 am
Tim399 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:49 am
Seb85 wrote:
I did Tim, twice. Doesn't really say the distance.
Weed bed between Altona to Point Cook is a lot of open areas. I'll be on a kayak, so I'll be very limited. There is no way I'm paddling Altona - Point Cook, and need to be in safe distance from the shore.
I'm hoping something like "start with 100m off Altona Pier to the east"
Much appreciated if anyone is willing to share, if none, it's all good, no need to say anything.
Theres an artificial reef out front of Alrona pier, 50m or something, try round there maybe

Return to “Williamstown to Werribee”