Warmies visit and Massive unknown fish again.

Williamstown, Altona, Point Cook, Werribee
e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Re: Warmies visit and Massive unknown fish again.

Post by e.welch » Tue May 14, 2019 8:54 pm

possibly stingray because it ran and then you couldn't move it sounds like a stingray

bilby

Post by bilby » Tue May 14, 2019 9:20 pm

I don't know - on light gear like that it could just as easily be a pinkie. I've been landing them up to 50cm of late, and they have a surprising amount of power on the first run, and when you're land based, it's easy to end up snagged in rocks, etc.

AngeloFiedler

Post by AngeloFiedler » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:55 am

Last night I went to the Warmies, about 100m off the car park in the discharge channel.
I was targeting Mulloway using full 5” pilchards in 2 x 5/0 hooks with running sinker.
Right after midnight I caught something really big but a swivel snapped as it was too heavy.
Could it have been a stingray? I’m not sure whether stingrays can eat pilchard that size.

I also tried 4” soft plastic but no success.

Thanks all!

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:11 am

AngeloFiedler wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:55 am
Last night I went to the Warmies, about 100m off the car park in the discharge channel.
I was targeting Mulloway using full 5” pilchards in 2 x 5/0 hooks with running sinker.
Right after midnight I caught something really big but a swivel snapped as it was too heavy.
Could it have been a stingray? I’m not sure whether stingrays can eat pilchard that size.

I also tried 4” soft plastic but no success.

Thanks all!
The swivel broke? Jeez, how old was it? The swivels I usually use for bait fishing are sasame size 8's and are rated to like 30kg, pretty serious fish to be breaking the swivel.
How'd it run? Based on its size it was likely a big ray. Rays are bottom feeders. You said you were using a running sinker rig which means the bait could have sat on the bottom, unlike a paternoster rig, so a big ray could have easily come and scoffed it.

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:41 pm

More than likely a ray.

Rays love boat ramps as well. Everyone dumps their left over bait and carcasses.

They also have the tendency to rip line, stop, come back to you then rip more line. If the ray turned so the bottom of its body was facing you then you are literally trying to pull it’s whole body surface through the water. That’s probably when you couldn’t get any more line back.

Return to “Williamstown to Werribee”