Doughnuts again

Williamstown, Altona, Point Cook, Werribee
Scozziefish71

Doughnuts again

Post by Scozziefish71 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:52 pm

Well that's the fifth doughnut in a row, things have really slowed down at the Warmies for me.
Anybody else been having any success?

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Re: Doughnuts again

Post by Sebb » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:05 pm

After a lot of rain and a drop in temperature, the 'usual' salty fish species shut down a bit around river mouth.
But can also be a sign for 'winter fish' to come around. That flush from rivers basically is a giant burley trail. Try cast metal lures or paddle type plastics in mid water or suface, might catch salmon or tailor.
To me, winter is all about salmon/tailor and lake trouts. Squid is all year round for alternative option.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Scozziefish71

Post by Scozziefish71 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:13 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:05 pm
After a lot of rain and a drop in temperature, the 'usual' salty fish species shut down a bit around river mouth.
But can also be a sign for 'winter fish' to come around. That flush from rivers basically is a giant burley trail. Try cast metal lures or paddle type plastics in mid water or suface, might catch salmon or tailor.
To me, winter is all about salmon/tailor and lake trouts. Squid is all year round for alternative option.
I will give that a go next time, thanks.
The Bream and pinkies have definitely disappeared from the area.
I have seen that guys have been catching near Docklands, so maybe worth a try.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:19 pm

There's always breams around Docklands.
The freshwater from the rain flushes the salt out to the bay. Being salt water fish, the breams in the warmies probably gone out

Matthew drako
Has liked: 28 times

Post by Matthew drako » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:41 pm

that's unfortunate mate, try one of the piers, been getting snapper, pinkies, bream, and flatties there of late. My last trip produced 4 bream around the 35cm mark and also the trevally seems to be in numbers if you fish the afternoon tide change. Make sure you understand the pier and where the pylons are as I've lost countless fish to them. Gem pier seems to be the easiest to land the big bream at the end of the pier. If you want to go big then burley up for mullet and use the smallest hook possible to catch the little buggers(minimum size 14) and try them on as live. The mullet are pretty small right now hence why the tiny hook. Burley will bring thousands to the surface.
Cheers, Matt

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:00 pm

Matthew drako wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:41 pm
that's unfortunate mate, try one of the piers, been getting snapper, pinkies, bream, and flatties there of late. My last trip produced 4 bream around the 35cm mark and also the trevally seems to be in numbers if you fish the afternoon tide change. Make sure you understand the pier and where the pylons are as I've lost countless fish to them. Gem pier seems to be the easiest to land the big bream at the end of the pier. If you want to go big then burley up for mullet and use the smallest hook possible to catch the little buggers(minimum size 14) and try them on as live. The mullet are pretty small right now hence why the tiny hook. Burley will bring thousands to the surface.
Cheers, Matt
Good tip...
There's always breams at princess pier.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:07 pm

Just part of fishing mate.
I’ve had a bit of success lately with the salmons around the port Melbourne area using plastics. I usually do at this time of the year and over the next couple of months :)

Scozziefish71

Post by Scozziefish71 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:33 am

Lightningx wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:07 pm
Just part of fishing mate.
I’ve had a bit of success lately with the salmons around the port Melbourne area using plastics. I usually do at this time of the year and over the next couple of months :)
I will give the Piers a go, hopefully I will get a bit of Tailor or Salmon action.

Return to “Williamstown to Werribee”