Northern PPB Report - 13 Oct 2019

Williamstown, Altona, Point Cook, Werribee
Sthealth

Northern PPB Report - 13 Oct 2019

Post by Sthealth » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:43 pm

Hi All,

Fished the last of the outgoing tide yesterday between 6:30pm and 9:30pm with some success in the Altona area. Sharing a report of this session and also some general observations and tips for fishing northern PPB (mainly Altona area) for snapper at this time of the year. By no means the best fisherman in the bay but happy to share/exchange ideas with anyone who fishes this area

Observations:
- Have noted that northern PPB water temp is now 15+ degrees up from 11 during the winter freeze. In addition the water temp differential between PPB and bass strait is now positive with a big jump in the last week. Both of these factors I monitor quite closely as big consistent snapper follow close by.

- The bite time was best 1 hour before last light and into 30 mins of pure darkness but of note is that there were still fairly consistent bites well into dark which hasn’t been the case since before winter hit.

Tips:
- I find the bite is improved by having the tide moving in the same direction as the wind but of more importance is that there is some run in the water with the peak high/low being the quietest periods. This is negated when the wind and swell is too high to maintain a good drift speed or when waves approach the 1m+ mark - better to find shelter in another part of the bay when this is the case.

- My technique for finding snapper involves drifting along contour lines around a drop off. The particular spot will depend on the prevailing conditions of the day such that I can maintain a drift for ideally 15+ minutes along the ridge.

Report from last night:
- started out wide in 15m of water around previously successful snapper spots yielding doughnuts on the pinkies. There were lots of pests (small flathead) and didn’t do more than two drifts as a result
- Headed further in and drifted around 7-10m depth prospecting for fish and encountering lots of underside pinkies. Landed a small 30cm pinkie and then a second in short succession and decided to anchor up as a result. This yielded 3 more small but legal sized pinkies over the next 1.5 hours into dark
- Although I wouldn’t declare snapper season as officially open yet... we are getting very close with the recent jump in water temp, increased activity after dark and more consistent albeit still small bites I have been seeing recently compared to a month ago

I

Jasonfish1234
Has liked: 234 times

Re: Northern PPB Report - 13 Oct 2019

Post by Jasonfish1234 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:49 pm

Good fishing.

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Post by Robbie1950 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:57 pm

Good report mate. I was out just off cardinal mark this afternoon, I nearly capsized the boat how rough it was.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:58 pm

Thanks for sharing mate,
ive heard of people drift baiting for snapper before but have never tried or been in a boat that has tried to do it either.
do you sound up the fish first, or just drift in locations you have had success before, taking into consideration everything else you have just mentioned above.
cheers

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:24 pm

Good report mate

Sthealth

Post by Sthealth » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:09 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:58 pm
Thanks for sharing mate,
ive heard of people drift baiting for snapper before but have never tried or been in a boat that has tried to do it either.
do you sound up the fish first, or just drift in locations you have had success before, taking into consideration everything else you have just mentioned above.
cheers
I’ll generally get a line in the water and look at the sounder to confirm wether fish seen are in the bite at the time. Will start out deep and then continue to move shallower until I start getting consistent bites then work that depth further but by drifting different locations with lines out and not just sounding. Will anchor when I get a decent fish.

in terms of the drift itself - If drift is too fast I’ll let out a sea anchor and if it’s really bad I’ll let out only one line with the motor in the lightest reverse - have had some bad situations with line caught in the propellor doing this and need to be really careful. otherwise go into hobsons bay or to princess pier which is usually protected but if that doesn’t work then probably shouldn’t be out in the first place.

During winter have been prospecting using two paternosters with two different sized hooks having two different flesh baits. Also have a stock of different plastics that I use when there are too many pests about as they stay on the hook longer and tend to attract the bigger fish and sometimes the fish prefer scented plastics to bait on the day. Once I get into a good spot will burley and let out two additional pea sinker lines and may use a scented plastic on a jig if too many pests again or not getting a result before moving on to next spot.

Generally find that if Im not hooking up on the drift then anchoring won’t yield a result either and it’s either the wrong location or the conditions are against you on the day.

williwonder

Post by williwonder » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:15 pm

Very slow around williamstown and altona. I have 4 donuts to prove it

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Post by Robbie1950 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:40 pm

williwonder wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:15 pm
Confirmed. If we join our donuts together we could open up a bakery.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:10 pm

williwonder wrote:
Was thinking about trying around there tomorrow!
Might give it a miss now :rf:

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:45 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:10 pm
williwonder wrote:
Was thinking about trying around there tomorrow!
Might give it a miss now :rf:
Have a sound around Fawkner beacon.

There were boats drifting in pitch black darkness at cardinal mark, they were drifting between the anchored boats.

Might try sounding around dumb Joe marker area next fish.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Return to “Williamstown to Werribee”