St Kilda Pier first time fishing in Oz

Lagoon Pier, Kerferd Road Pier, Station Pier, Princes Pier, Webb Dock Port Melbourne
in2nettt

St Kilda Pier first time fishing in Oz

Post by in2nettt » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:01 am

Hi
I recently made a post about been new to Australia and Sea fishing, yet been a course angler in the UK for 20 years not knowing much at all about sea/pier fishing. I was in debate about what rod to buy etc but with some help I went into the CBD and into Complete Anglers shop, I was given a Penn Spinfisher SSM and reel combo with the rovex pro power 6000 reel for $117. I was told the main fish I would be catching would be after snappers, he handed me 4 leads/sinkers of 3oz in weight and a couple icon Takeshi Reef Dweller 4/0. 40LB rigs and a 1kg bag of pilchards. I had already bought a couple of things like a tackle box and landing net and terminal tackle for K mart on the cheap as I am traveling Australia and am only in st Kilda area for around 4 months.
HOPEFULLY THIS STUFF WILL DO THE JOB?

I have been down twice now 2 hours either side of the high tide, whilst been there I had only seen 2 pinkies caught and a small ray. I had no luck apart from a decent size crab! I also had a TAP TAP bite then the line went realy slack... this happened twice over the period of the two sessions, would people be striking at this? as I just wound it back tight and waited for another 10 mins before reeling it back in to see nothing was on the end of my hook anymore.

Would people be trying any different baits? I have a lighter spinning rod which I could put out on a smaller set up maybe with squid etc? any help will be much appreciated!

I am so wanting to catch a snapper or two! Hopefully one day soon!

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Re: St Kilda Pier first time fishing in Oz

Post by Fish-cador » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:39 am

in2nettt wrote:I also had a TAP TAP bite then the line went realy slack... this happened twice over the period of the two sessions, would people be striking at this?
most probably flathead. how big was your bait?. Try to down size if you are using a whole tuna.

in2nettt

Post by in2nettt » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:43 am

Fish-cador wrote:
in2nettt wrote:I also had a TAP TAP bite then the line went realy slack... this happened twice over the period of the two sessions, would people be striking at this?
most probably flathead. how big was your bait?. Try to down size if you are using a whole tuna.
Pilchards tail so like half a pilchard

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:52 am

You should hire a bout for half a day and see if you can get onto some that way imo

in2nettt

Post by in2nettt » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:03 am

Scraglor wrote:You should hire a bout for half a day and see if you can get onto some that way imo
They expensive to hire?

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:37 pm

Mordialloc is a popular place to hire a boat for the day.

azkay

Post by azkay » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:51 am

Fish-cador wrote:
Fish-cador is probably right, although i've seen banjo's do this heaps around that area as well, no point striking a loose line unless you hit him on the tap tap otherwise just tighten the line and have a feel..
Az.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:09 am

azkay wrote:
Fish-cador wrote:
Fish-cador is probably right, although i've seen banjo's do this heaps around that area as well, no point striking a loose line unless you hit him on the tap tap otherwise just tighten the line and have a feel..
banjo can cause loose lines but not the tell tale TAP TAP. They will crush your bait to oblivion. :-) Micro pinkies can be a suspect too..and the tiny bay trouts (Salmon, not SALMIN) :rofl:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:56 pm

Many times while fishing for bay trouts I have had this tap tap then the line goes loose and the fish is gone. It was most likely a smaller fish like a small bay trout or a small pinkie :)

Return to “Port Melbourne to St Kilda”