Little session today (12/11/2012)

Lagoon Pier, Kerferd Road Pier, Station Pier, Princes Pier, Webb Dock Port Melbourne
shazzagraz

Little session today (12/11/2012)

Post by shazzagraz » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:01 pm

I worked night shift last night and finished at just after 6am this morning. Got home a little before 7am, picked up some fishing gear and headed out to St Kilda pier for a quick session. Ended up catching a 36.5cm bream off the penguin boardwalk and a 38cm flathead off the rocks out into the bay. Also caught 20+ salmon, all around the 25-26cm mark, and an undersized pinkie. Ended up keeping two salmon with the plan to use them as snapper bait, as I have never used them as bait and I keep reading that they are great for snapper (plus some other species)

It was a great session, starting a little after 7am and ending at about 12pm. While on the rocks it was almost non stop action with all the salmon, but the highlight for me was the bream. It was my first bream caught at St Kilda, and being such a decent size I am extremely happy with it. Was also very happy to snag the flathead, to add another nice table fish to the tally.

It was great just to be out there, and a bonus to get on to a few fish.

EDIT: Added pics

ImageImage
Last edited by shazzagraz on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tboner

Re: Little session today (12/11/2012)

Post by tboner » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:02 pm

Well done mate great session.

Breamster

Post by Breamster » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:07 pm

This morning I drove all the way to Ocean Grove from Pt Cook only to get blown away by the wind. Must be close to 50km/hr wind. Ended up driving back home. Didn't even wet the line.

Great catch Bro.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:26 pm

what bait did you catch that bream on? After seeing a guy caught a bream on saturday, and you got one today, it seems that they are still around. They should have migrated up to yarra/monee/nong by now. I dont think they have done their thing yet as I caught 2 last week in webb dock and they were full of eggs.

Was the salmon caught on lure/sp? I't been a while since I had fun with salmon on lures.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

shazzagraz

Post by shazzagraz » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:44 pm

I was using prawns and pilchards. Bream was caught on a prawn, everything else took the pilchards.

I did have a rod set up for SP but on one of my casts with it, my bait rod buckled over so I put the SP rod down while I landed the fish, and in the meantime my jig drifted into the rocks, got snagged and I lost my jighead and SP. With the bite being so hot on bait I didn't have a chance to re-tie the SP rig so I gave up on it and fished only with bait. I didn't have any metal lures with me, I wish I did though. It was still a great session though .

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:59 pm

Thanks Shaz. You should have dived to retrieve your jig head. :-)

I will try for bream one of these days when I get some tube worms. It will be windy southery all week (at least that is the current forecast) so I might try for snapper too.

I hope the salmon will come back. Will toss some SP, metal or HB when the wind dies down a bit.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

nhillboy

Post by nhillboy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:53 pm

Nice work Shaz.... :dinner: :cheers:

Berto Pescatore

Post by Berto Pescatore » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:57 pm

Nice mixed basket of fish … I think you will need to go again to complete one feed of each :)

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:18 pm

Great mixture of fish Shaz :clap:
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Mawf

Post by Mawf » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:03 am

shazzagraz wrote:I worked night shift last night and finished at just after 6am this morning. Got home a little before 7am, picked up some fishing gear and headed out to St Kilda pier for a quick session. Ended up catching a 36.5cm bream off the penguin boardwalk and a 38cm flathead off the rocks out into the bay. Also caught 20+ salmon, all around the 25-26cm mark, and an undersized pinkie. Ended up keeping two salmon with the plan to use them as snapper bait, as I have never used them as bait and I keep reading that they are great for snapper (plus some other species)

It was a great session, starting a little after 7am and ending at about 12pm. While on the rocks it was almost non stop action with all the salmon, but the highlight for me was the bream. It was my first bream caught at St Kilda, and being such a decent size I am extremely happy with it. Was also very happy to snag the flathead, to add another nice table fish to the tally.

It was great just to be out there, and a bonus to get on to a few fish.

EDIT: Added pics

ImageImage

Hey mate,

Are you able to take a pic on google maps to where exactly you were fishing? I cant find a spot in St Kilda to Fish for the life of me!

Thanks in advance!

Nice catch btw!!!!!!!

Return to “Port Melbourne to St Kilda”