Station Pier report 29/09/19

Lagoon Pier, Kerferd Road Pier, Station Pier, Princes Pier, Webb Dock Port Melbourne
longcaster98
Has liked: 2 times

Station Pier report 29/09/19

Post by longcaster98 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:57 pm

Hey fellas,
As promised for the reports competition on this forum well here it is.
So headed out to station pier around 5:30 from home and ended up chucking my line out for the first time at 6:10. I was meeting up with a few mates who have already been there for an hour beforehand and they had caught a few nice live bait sized whiting they kept for me to chuck on my 12 Shimano surf rod. I mean like who wouldn’t take up the opportunity to chuck on a live whiting or anything live for that matter! I actually brought a kilo bag of freshly stocked pillies (Gotcha brand) because I wasn’t expecting them to lend me their unintentionally caught live bait so I didn’t end up opening the pack and saved it for tomorrow morning (I’m sure you could guess why I’d want to go tomorrow after this lovely session).

So moving on from the big build up, I chucked the whiting out on a Mustad 4/0 circle hook through the back of the head on 50lbs monofilament leader, 25lbs braid and 4oz bomb sinker in the form of a paternoster rig. Took a while for the bites to get going, like an hour or so meanwhile my mates were catching micro flatties and pinkies left right and centre and I was getting a bit frustrated. At exactly 7:45 the reel was screaming and line was peeling out of the rod for what seemed like an eternity, I had the drag low...

So I cranked up the drag on my okuma surf 8000 reel and instantly brought the monster to a halt. It seemed like the combo of the reel drag strength and the minute long run tired it out, it wasn’t too much of a fight and about another minute later until it went on another huge run even with the drag set to max, it was a little bigger than I initially thought. Soon enough it came up to the surface and it was a decent gummy 55cm from gill to base of tail, some might say it’s small lengthwise but it was FAT FILLETS that powered the thing. A bit like a short man with monster quads if you want a comparison! :rf:

So yea we didn’t have a net so kinda had to haul it up the pier with was a pain and somehow my line didn’t snap. It got tangled up in all the line too when we laid it down on the pier and it had an absolute spastic. I got it untangled whilst verbally abusing the poor thing because I had to cut the line and resetup my rig. Got a couple of photos and popped it back in the water and there you have it, a decent report to write about! Hope you guys enjoyed the read and have a nice night :wt:

Also here’s a photo ;)
Attachments
C64BB2D5-166D-4DB6-B960-B2F0CBEED558.jpeg

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Re: Station Pier report 29/09/19

Post by fishnut » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:02 am

Well done mate sounds like a bit of fun
Keep at it the reds should turn up soon

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:16 am

Not a bad session mate.
I used to love fishing from that pier also. Need a decent net or a cliff gaff in case you catch something big.
Nice gummy mate. Well done.
Cheers :tu:

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:48 pm

Well done mate, that's a great fish..
Cheers

Return to “Port Melbourne to St Kilda”