Port Melbourne rockwalls tonight 1.4.'13

Lagoon Pier, Kerferd Road Pier, Station Pier, Princes Pier, Webb Dock Port Melbourne
Cuda
Has liked: 2 times

Port Melbourne rockwalls tonight 1.4.'13

Post by Cuda » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:34 pm

Never fished this area before, so decided to give it a go, after a mate saw a guy harpoon a 1.5m mulloway??!! around webb dock area.
After realising how long of a walk it was to get to the best part of webb dock, decided to fish one of the 3 rockwalls. Wanted to fish the one closest to princess pier, but there were 2 guys there. One guy on the one closest to webb dock, and middle one was empty.
Fished from 4.30 til 9.30. Had 2 heavier rods and a light, live-bait-chasing one. Couldn't burly up any mullet. Small pinkies a plenty. HAd whole pilchards on big rods. Got an approx. 30 cm Trevally which I filleted and casted out. Afetr dark, got a nice bream, about 36cm. All in all, very quiet night.
A guy came down (just after I arrived) to the tip of the wall with 2 rods. I looked at him, in a you-surelly-aren't-fishing-here kind of a way and turned back. Turn around after 30 sec. he's setting up. I tell him that I am fishing the tip and one side of the wall and that there isn't room for any more rods.
The guy stinks of alcohol and his eyes look like he's been welding wtihout a mask for 2 days straight. HE doesn't say much, as he doesn't speak much English.
One of my big rods is already in and the other one just sitting in the spot where it's gonna sit when it's in the water, max 1.8 meters between the 2. The guy proceeds to cast between these 2 rods and sit his rod in the rocks in the middle of them. I ask him if he's going to move it when I'm ready to cast the 2nd big rod and he mumbles something I didn't quite hear/understand.
Puuls out a stubby of Corona and has another drink LOL!!
He then lies down on the rocks and snoozes off for about 15-20min. :a_goodjob:
The whole time, I am thin king this guy is a local nad he walked here, coz he's pissed...He wakes up and starts talking...I end up asking him: "So..you live around here, yeah?"

He replies: " Ahmm, no..Caroline Springs!" :icon_lolz: :icon_lolz:
Unbelievable.
He leaves about 7:45, letting me relax a bit before I go home myself.
What do you do!!?

complete-anglerz-12

Re: Port Melbourne rockwalls tonight 1.4.'13

Post by complete-anglerz-12 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:12 am

got my 1st jew at webb dock just around the bend on a whole blue bait in snapper season also a mate got a 68 cm snapper their best lb of the season
where is the calamari ............. don't worry they coming ........ they will come

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:03 am

Be carefull around that area @ times theres a some bad ppl , doing all kinds of bad things around there .

Cuda

Post by Cuda » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:46 am

MIKER wrote:Be carefull around that area @ times theres a some bad ppl , doing all kinds of bad things around there .
Thanks Miker...What have you heard?

Rogue_Hunter

Post by Rogue_Hunter » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:57 am

MIKER wrote:Be carefull around that area @ times theres a some bad ppl , doing all kinds of bad things around there .
+1
Some areas you should best avoid, doesnt matter how well the fishing is, especially on your own. Some youngsters might "pfft" at these comments, but as you get older and you have a family at home waiting for you, you tend to avoid confrontation, you might get into a fight and end up king hitting a guy and it will ruin your life .. I heard not much fish being caught in prison.

Cuda, i can see your point, i would have got me worked up aswell, but what can you do .. this is a nation where drinking is part of the lifestyle, your bound to come acorss people like this. Next time quietly reel up his line and if he asks you what happened, you can tell him he never casted out .. or you could try this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKn2WpvywMg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:cheers:

ChrisTaylor
Has liked: 27 times

Post by ChrisTaylor » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:17 am

In that case I'd have waited until he sat down and got settled then pulled the lines in and moved somewhere else. Not worth starting a fight.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:34 am

not sure how some anglers get into a fight for space. I have no issues finding space. Last week, I went to St kilda pier and it was choked full. I asked 2 guys if I can fish beside them. They told me they were using light sinker and the wind drags their line. Fair enough I went to the other side of their lines and even got invited by the other guys to fish beside them. They even moved their rods to give me some space.

Talk to the other anglers and many will let you fish beside them. Muscle your way in and you will easily learn who has bigger balls.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Cuda

Post by Cuda » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:55 am

The thing is, I didn't even get worked up in a "being mad" kind of way. It was so stupid that it was actually funny. He wasn't a bad guy, he just thought that it is OK to have 5 rods in 4m2 of space LOL. When you go to places like this, it is hard to just pack up and leave for another spot if someone is bothering you, but I am certainly not a type to punch-on or even verbally argue over a fishing spot.
I just couldn't believe what other people deem as an OK thing to do. :)

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:14 pm

I want to know about this guy harpooning a 1.5 jewie!! Was he using a speargun or a hawaian sling? Thats a massive jewie in vic!! Not saying its not possible but the biggest Ive heard in the yarra is around 130cm. If you dont want to post in forum feel free to PM. Im guessing he must have seen them there and came back the next day/night? Couldnt imagine many ppl spearfishing that end of the bay regularly...
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

ChrisTaylor
Has liked: 27 times

Post by ChrisTaylor » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:59 pm

Excuse my ignorance but are you even supposed to be spearfishing that close to a pier? I thought spearfishing was only acceptable in certain places.

Return to “Port Melbourne to St Kilda”