First fish on the Yak

Carrum, Patterson River/Lakes, Aspendale, Edithvale, Chelsea, Seaford, Frankston
mazman
Has liked: 137 times

First fish on the Yak

Post by mazman » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:58 pm

Headed out on ppb for a flick with squid jigs and some sps, wasn't expecting much but i wanted to get out there and spend an evening on the water. Launched at 6 and headed down to the reef I'd identified earlier that morning. First cast I hooked a nice squid that I dropped after a short lived fight. After this I persisted with the squid for a while but after half an hour of nothing I anchored up at the edge of the reef (was drifting rather fast) and switched over to my sp combo and first cast i got a few little taps before I hooked up to a little pinkie that gave a good account for himself. I was absolutely ecstatic, after releasing the pinkie a put another cast in the same area after a couple of hops a let it sit on the bottom for a second and it got engulfed by yet another pinkie but this time it was legal. I put another cast into the same area and i didn't even move the plastic before my rod buckled over in my hands and i had yet another legal pinkie on the board. I continued flicking at the same area but it went quiet for the next half hour and just when i was considering leaving I picked up another undersized pinkie. I gave myself one more cast after this and on the hooked another pinkie on the initial drop, this fish was giving me a good run for my money peeling a bit of line of my reel and even shooting underneath the yak but i managed to get him to hand and it was a 35cm pinkie and my best for the evening. These little pinkies put up a seriously good account for themselves on bream gear.

Cheers Alex
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

sasquatch972
Has liked: 21 times

Re: First fish on the Yak

Post by sasquatch972 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:12 pm

wow man thats great! :rocking_report: they look perfect eating size too.
would love to get into yak fishing, but i need to find a yak big enough.. :titanic: lol

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:22 am

Well done maz nice catch
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Plas-Flicker

Post by Plas-Flicker » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:33 am

Looks like it was a a perfect day out there, congrats on christening the Yak!!
Well done mate.
Tight lines = Good Times!

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:28 am

Sounds like a great evening nice photos and nice fish

Paul Foot

Post by Paul Foot » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:53 pm

Great work! It's challenging fishing on the Yak with energetic fish. I am yet to catch a snapper from mine, Banjo sharks are the biggest things I have hooked and they reeked absolute havoc.

mazman

Post by mazman » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:46 pm

Thanks guys was an awesome evening on the water and one I'm looking to repeat again soon.
I found the pinkies were quite easy to handle you just have to make sure that when you initially grab them out of the net you get a good grip just behind the head, I don't know how i would go with a decent snapper though but hopefully i'll find that out soon enough.

Cheers Alex

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:02 pm

Nice one mazman, what yak do u have?

mazman

Post by mazman » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:23 pm

Wavedance kingfisher

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:26 am

mazman wrote:Wavedance kingfisher
A very capable yak to - fast enough to head most places and stable enough in most conditions

Paul Foot wrote: Banjo sharks are the biggest things I have hooked and they reeked absolute havoc.
Paul you need to hook up to a good size Eagle Ray you will then learn what Havoc is -- hooking an Eagle ray on a kayak is more like a natural disaster
mazman wrote: I don't know how i would go with a decent snapper though but hopefully i'll find that out soon enough.

Cheers Alex
Alex -- the easiest way I find with larger snapper ( if I'm going to keep them ) is net them to bring them on board -- then Iki spike them in the head while they are still in the net
I made a strong brain spike tool from and old screw driver sharpened up with a grinder
Larger snapper that are still alive can easy spike you or the gill rackers cut very well

http://www.ikijime.com/fish/snapper/?ad ... %7CSnapper" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

check out the place to spike them
Last edited by cheaterparts on Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Return to “Chelsea to Frankston”