Carrum 18M

Carrum, Patterson River/Lakes, Aspendale, Edithvale, Chelsea, Seaford, Frankston
vinalf

Carrum 18M

Post by vinalf » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:34 pm

Went out for a couple of hours this afternoon and sat in 18m off Carrum. Water was nice and calm.

Had 1 run but failed to land him as he spat the hook. 2 Other boats nearby but did not see any action on either
:sleepy1: :sleepy1: :sleepy1: .

Did manage to land a 2 small gurnard though! Both went back.

Cheers

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Carrum 18M

Post by Nude up » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:39 pm

Bad luck would have been a nice afternoon, I was doing a mates boat trailer wheel bearings

Mustang38
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Mustang38 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:34 am

Hey buddy,
like Nude up said better to be out there trying thpough. Speceially on a good day. Nice to meet you the other day also thanks for the advice with the new sounder.

TackleNut

Post by TackleNut » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:12 pm

vinalf wrote:Went out for a couple of hours this afternoon and sat in 18m off Carrum. Water was nice and calm.

Had 1 run but failed to land him as he spat the hook. 2 Other boats nearby but did not see any action on either
:sleepy1: :sleepy1: :sleepy1: .

Did manage to land a 2 small gurnard though! Both went back.

Cheers
I know that feeling of nothingness, I can feel your pain.

As far as the gurnad, damn dangerous spiky buggers, better left in the water.
Years back I started to not even bring them into the boat, just would cut the line and let then swim away. The hooks rust out fast for them, but if yoiu get stuck by a one your in trouble so better them swim off with a hook in their mouth than me go to hospital.
cheers
TackleNut

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:18 pm

Like tacklenut said better to cut the line and lose a hook rather than deal with all the pain !
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

vinalf

Post by vinalf » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:00 am

I didn't realise they that poisonous!!! I always thought they were an edible fish. Shows what I know...

Bangg Bangg

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:30 am

vinalf wrote:I didn't realise they that poisonous!!! I always thought they were an edible fish. Shows what I know...

Bangg Bangg

Yes they do taste great ! it's the cleaning them that make it risky with all those spines, one slip and it's instant pain for hours..
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

re-tyred
Has liked: 376 times

Post by re-tyred » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:19 am

If you want to keep them to eat. Bring them aboard. Dong them on the head with a large donger!!! I have a wooden club about 300mm long and 80mm dia with a handle shaped in the lathe. I use it to dispatch all keepers regardless of species. When dead, use tin snips to cut their spines off. Wear gardening gloves. Then put them on ice to clean when you get back. I have handled 1000s of them over the years. Experience has shown that gloves even rubber kitchen glove drastically reduces the poison, if you spike yourself. The poison is the slime on their spikes. If the spike goes through a glove much less goes in to you. I have a bunch of cheap garden gloves on the boat at all times. I use them on all fish and when putting live crab on a hook. Just so much easier with gloves and a lot less spikes.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Return to “Chelsea to Frankston”