Patterson Lakes (launching point)

Carrum, Patterson River/Lakes, Aspendale, Edithvale, Chelsea, Seaford, Frankston
arabshark

Patterson Lakes (launching point)

Post by arabshark » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:38 am

Fished at the end of the launching point at Patterson lakes from around 1am-3:30am. Initially I was using a running sinker rig and casting down the middle with prawn, chicken and pippies. No bites using that method. Then I went in close, under the lights using a split shot and some chicken on a circle hook. Started getting bites, but no hookups. They love the chicken out there. I'm guessing they were are mullet, but I don't know how to catch them. Any advice on what sort of rig to use?

Fish-Hunter

Re: Patterson Lakes (launching point)

Post by Fish-Hunter » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:30 am

Mate your keen, three locations in one night..

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:14 am

The smallest possible hook and bait when mullet fishing. If you can find some size 14 mosquito hooks somewhere they're perfect.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:59 am

What dougie said And lots of burley........ id use a float too if specifically targetting mullet

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:02 pm

I have drawn a highly technical picture here with paint for you.

Basically have a dropper under a pencil float, weight the float with 3x split shots that leave just a centimeter or two of float exposed above the water, and use either 1 or 2 hooks.

As dougie said, sz14 mosquito hooks work well, you can get them in the fly fishing areas at most compleat angler stores.

Also, use plenty of berley (bread crumbs + tuna oil) regularly to keep the schools in the area.

Good baits for mullet are small pieces of chicken, prawn or bread. Use silverfish for gars imo.

Also, you need to strike and set the hook when you see the float disappear, I tend to strike by moving the rod low and towards me so the float doesnt come flying out of the air. Haha.

Good luck
Attachments
Mullet-Gar Rig.jpg

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:11 pm

Scraglor wrote: Also, you need to strike and set the hook when you see the float disappear, I tend to strike by moving the rod low and towards me so the float doesnt come flying out of the air. Haha.

Good luck
LadyK caught a fantastic mullet to the face like this at Tooradin that day you were fishing next to us
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:13 pm

DougieK wrote:
Scraglor wrote: Also, you need to strike and set the hook when you see the float disappear, I tend to strike by moving the rod low and towards me so the float doesnt come flying out of the air. Haha.

Good luck
LadyK caught a fantastic mullet to the face like this at Tooradin that day you were fishing next to us
Haha, yeah, I have had a couple of close calls myself. Im worse with a squid jig at night when I dont realise its just about in, and give it a good rip.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:38 pm

DougieK wrote:

Good luck
Lol, this is why gopros exist.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:54 pm

i've done both the float and squid jig thing. Consequently, i've worked out that with my gear, a smooth lift and sharp hooks instead of a harder strike works best. I also use one hook on the rig to avoid tangles.

arabshark

Post by arabshark » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:25 pm

Thanks guys. I'm a very keen fisherman. It's an obsession and passion at the same time. I can't go home unless I've tried every possible solution. I just ordered some Owner size 14 mosquito hooks off eBay (thanks Dougie K). One night I saw a guy pull out a million mullet out of the Maribyrnong and I think he was using salami. Anyone used salami as mullet bait before?

Return to “Chelsea to Frankston”