Cup Weekend Recap

Carrum, Patterson River/Lakes, Aspendale, Edithvale, Chelsea, Seaford, Frankston
Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Cup Weekend Recap

Post by Scraglor » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:53 pm

I have been planning to have a bit of a crack over cup weekend, so the plan was;

Sat: Launch out of Frankston early (2:30am) and fish until sun up, see if we could jag a red or two, then head in.
Sun: Planning on doing the same thing as Sat, but getting a mate onto his first ever red
Mon: Launch early in PPB, fish until sun up, then scoot over to Hastings and fish the 11:50 tide change

Unfortunately the weather gods werent playing the game, and unfortunately that plan didnt work out.

Sat: The call was made to launch out of mordi and fish a spot we have had success in the past, and after one or two extra presses of the snooze button on the alarm I had the boat in the water approx 3:30am and there were only a handful of other boats in the car park, which surprised me. The water was a lot rougher than expected given the 5kt forecast, however it gradually died off as the morning wore on.

With the anchor set, and baits in, we were lucky enough to have the boat facing towards the city/geelong area, which gave us a spectacular view of the electrical storm the was absolutely going off over the city. Luckily the BOM radar was showing it passing north of us, leaving us with the best seats in the house for the next couple of hours. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts to burley up a storm, thats about all the next couple of hours produced.

The wind was swinging the boat back and forth, and unfortunately 3 of my dads lines managed to collect each other in an almighty tangle, which needed the two of us too sort out. Of course, in the midst of this, we hear his only remaining reel start to scream. Tangle forgotted, dad jumped on the reel, and I yanked the net out of the rocket launchers, ready to bring out first PPB red of the season in. Unfortunately the fish managed to collect all of the tangled lines as well. What a nightmare. in the end I tied the lines to the bait board and cut them off before the tight braid could cut the line with the fish on it. shortly later we were on the scoreboard! unfortunately, my baits didnt get a sniff.

About an hour or so of not much action followed, so I decided to make some coffees (I stand by make a cuppa being the best berley of all) and mid pour, the sound of a Sienna being rapidly divested of broke the dead silence of the calm conditions and I was on. Dad rapidly brought in the lines around me to avoid any tangles, and one of them happened to have a 40cm flatty on the end. haha. I was spewing, it would have been an upgrade in the species comp. This red put up more of a fight than I expected, and only measured in at 68odd cm, but was very fat, and weighed in at 4.8kg, which was more than I would have expected. Shortly after this a storm cell developed that moved straight towards us and we bugged out and headed home.

Sun: Later Sat night my best mate come over, ready to head out in the morning and jag his first red. Unfortunately the forecast changed from very calm too blowing its guts out in the space of 24 hours, and when I crawled out of bed at 2:15am, I could hear the wind howling. We popped down to the pier just to be sure, to be greeted with the site of Frankston foreshore looking like a surf beach. Had to bail.

Mon: Up again at the crack of dawn (a few hours earlier tbh) and out to our spot, and it was totally different. No activity at all. The frustrating thing was that the sounder was lighting up like crazy, fish were all over the place, but nothing was interested in what we had to offer. we burley'd and burley'd but not a touch for three hours. Then on day break we got an enquiry, and pulled in a few good size flatties over 10 mins, I got the best one at approx 47cm. it died off again after that, until about an hour later. I was almost asleep, as dad was looking after the burley trail and the early starts were catching up to me, when a screaming drag had us both fly out of our seats like someone had let off a gun. the rod was buckled right over into the water and it was pulling more line, for a lot longer of a time than the fish we caught the previous trip. The fight was on, and after a couple of serious runs, and some big head shakes, the unthinkable happened and the hooks pulled. Shattered. We tried for an hour or so to russle up some more interest, but to no avail. Oh well, better stick to the plan and head to hastings.

Bad move, once out of the channel, it was pretty uncomfortable, but we were going to give it a crack. By the time we had baits in and started fishing it was getting really sloppy, with the big swell starting to break into waves. We had to head back in. This was easier said than done, as the tinny doesnt have clears and waves were splashing over the windscreen and all over me, so I was struggling to see with burning eyes from all the saltwater coming over. Eventually we got in to the channel, to see the coast guard booting out at full noise through the channel. Obviously someone was having a worse day than us.

All in all, a few good fish were caught, but well short of my hopes. Ohh well, there is always next weekend!
Attachments
IMG_0140.JPG
Not bad sized flatty fillets
IMG_0140.JPG (102.84 KiB) Viewed 1972 times
IMG_0135 (1).JPG
The biggest flatty
IMG_0134.JPG
IMG_0134.JPG (94.6 KiB) Viewed 1972 times
IMG_0129.JPG
Snapper Fillets (knife for reference)
IMG_0129.JPG (140.8 KiB) Viewed 1972 times
IMG_0128 (1).JPG
IMG_0119.JPG
Dinner
IMG_0119.JPG (110.54 KiB) Viewed 1972 times
IMG_0112.JPG
IMG_0112.JPG (97.6 KiB) Viewed 1972 times

drew 2

Re: Cup Weekend Recap

Post by drew 2 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:01 pm

Another great read :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Really enjoying the reports & pic's from down south.

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

Post by seephil » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:41 pm

Awesome pics and great recap of your weekend. You did well, myself and a few friends could only manage flattys.

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:30 pm

Crackers u had better success than myself.. Although a lot of flathead this weekend were undersized they took absolutely every lure I threw at them! Even an octa jig
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:10 pm

:a_goodjob:
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:29 pm

Thanks for the report! Enjoyed reading it :)

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:25 pm

Thanks guys, was better than being at work, thats for sure. Was spewing when I woke up this morning, conditions were perfect, but I had to earn a few browny points today and not wake up the better half at 3am. Ah well, back to planning the next trip!

Fishing1

Post by Fishing1 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:24 pm

Great report mate. U got a good feed there.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:46 pm

Sounds like my 3 days at stoney pointif only we had a cople of extra days, nice work scraglor some nice fish there

Return to “Chelsea to Frankston”