PPB Banjos and general help needed

Carrum, Patterson River/Lakes, Aspendale, Edithvale, Chelsea, Seaford, Frankston
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: PPB Banjos and general help needed

Post by 4liters » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:12 am

Hammy Y wrote:
laneends wrote:Turn fish icon off, should be in settings somewhere. Thats just a garbage feature.

If you drift you will catch more flatties than anchored. Use smaller cubes of pilies rather than whole ones. banjos are attracted to burley and flesh baits.

What rig do you use? paternosters with longish sinker drops to keep bait off bottom will reduce banjo catch rate. Can avoid them completely

Pinkies are best found sounding around for schools.

If you are after just anything edible to take home then drifting for flatties is your best bet. There is always the chance of something else jumping on the hook
Ive been using a rig with 2 4/0 suicides with either one running and one secured or both secured mostly, been catching the occasional small flatty but nothing worth eating. Also gonna learn how to do a paternoster for targetting flatties after hearing so many people recommend them. Any specific bait you prefer using when targetting flatty?
as others have said flathead is one of the best baits for flathead. Most other things in the bays eat it as well. The first one I catch for the session usually ends up on the bait board (unless it's a really good size), I just cut the head off, chop the tail into 1-2cm cutlets, cut each cutlet in half and pin a piece on each hook. If you make sure to push the hook through the skin it should stay on for ages and catch multiple fish before needing to be replaced with fresh bait. The head is worth putting on a big hook and dropping over the side as well, I got my PB gummy on a flatty head
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

ponderosa

Post by ponderosa » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:14 pm

Hi Hammy y,

You can get rid of the fish icons in settings/display on your sounder.

Brown or white iridescent 2/12 - 3.00 inch jigs slowly retrieved and jigged over patchy weed beds in 1.5- 5.0mts will catch you some squid.

A slow drift over the drop offs will score you some flattys. Be careful of the spines though. The ones here sting and burn much more than the ones from Lake Tyers or even offshore st Lakes.

Good luck!

Hammy Y

Post by Hammy Y » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:29 pm

ponderosa wrote:Hi Hammy y,

Brown or white iridescent 2/12 - 3.00 inch jigs slowly retrieved and jigged over patchy weed beds in 1.5- 5.0mts will catch you some squid.

A slow drift over the drop offs will score you some flattys. Be careful of the spines though. The ones here sting and burn much more than the ones from Lake Tyers or even offshore st Lakes.

Good luck!
Cheers for the tips, ive had some pretty nasty knocks from ones down at Lakes Entrance.

Hammy Y

Post by Hammy Y » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:36 pm

ponderosa wrote:Hi Hammy y,

Good luck!
Also, what kind of rods/lb of line/rig would you use for catching squid?

Cheers

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:38 pm

Just use your whiting gear if you can't be arsed buying something specific for squid. I like to use 15kg braid on mine though because I got sick of losing jigs in the weed
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Blueyed1
Has liked: 5 times

Post by Blueyed1 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:27 pm

4liters wrote:Just use your whiting gear if you can't be arsed buying something specific for squid. I like to use 15kg braid on mine though because I got sick of losing jigs in the weed
I'll second that. Use squid jigs sized #3.5 for PPB. That's what I find the most useful.

Joe

Hammy Y

Post by Hammy Y » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:40 pm

Blueyed1 wrote:
4liters wrote:Just use your whiting gear if you can't be arsed buying something specific for squid. I like to use 15kg braid on mine though because I got sick of losing jigs in the weed
I'll second that. Use squid jigs sized #3.5 for PPB. That's what I find the most useful.

Joe
My whiting rods are only running 8lb mono at the moment , not sure if that will suffice, thoughts?

Blueyed1

Post by Blueyed1 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:48 pm

You'll be losing those expensive jigs Ham. 8lb I reckon won't cut it. If you spool up with at least 12lb - that would be safer....

Joe

Blueyed1

Post by Blueyed1 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:49 pm

If fishing for Whiting then just use an 8lb leader.....

Joe

Hammy Y

Post by Hammy Y » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:41 pm

Blueyed1 wrote:If fishing for Whiting then just use an 8lb leader.....

Joe
Good tips, what mainline do you use for whiting?

Return to “Chelsea to Frankston”