First fishing report

Carrum, Patterson River/Lakes, Aspendale, Edithvale, Chelsea, Seaford, Frankston
Bobbie009

First fishing report

Post by Bobbie009 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:15 pm

Hey, guys!

Launched off Patterson Lakes late Sunday morning and headed to Oliver's Hill to have a crack at some squids, used 2.5 squid jigs. Was at it for a couple hours and no squid :( one of the guys had a line in to suss for fish and brought up and released a lot of very small Pinkies. We decided to head in deeper and have a crack at some Flathead. I also wanted to try some soft plastics for the first time.

Caught and released a heap of under sized Flathead and a few more Pinkies as well, all caught with squid for bait, I was unsuccessful with my plastics.

Highlight was I got a massive bite and was struggling to reel in, line snapped. Not 2 minutes later one of the other boys was hooking up a little Flathead, just before breaking the surface, a shark about 1.5m long was hot on the little Flathead's tail. We spent the next 20 mins full of excitement and tackled up to hopefully hook up the shark... No luck :(

All in all, was a fun day of fishing. Just bummed I couldn't score on the plastics. Need to find somewhere I can have a practice and get some experience with plastics, I think fishing a bit deep off the boat wasn't the best situation to learn in.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Re: First fishing report

Post by dazz999 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:08 pm

nice report soft plastics will work off a boat just fine i like to throw bigger size soft plastic,s for flatty,s if just starting to use them watch the squidgy series of dvd,s a great learning tool

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:24 pm

Nice report and welcome

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:12 pm

Nice first report mate!
Also welcome to the forum :P :water:

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:39 am

Great report...any idea what kind of shark it was?

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:47 am

Make sure you are bouncing the plastic off the bottom as you are slow hopping it back towards you.
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Bobbie009

Post by Bobbie009 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:43 pm

Mattblack wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:39 am
Great report...any idea what kind of shark it was?
Not sure, wasn't very big and just looked grey. Didn't get to see what his head really looked like. Mate said it was probs a gummy

Bobbie009

Post by Bobbie009 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:46 pm

smokin_reels wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:47 am
Make sure you are bouncing the plastic off the bottom as you are slow hopping it back towards you.
I don't think they were getting to the bottom. Had a 3.5 zman minnow plastic with a 1/6 2/0 jig. Maybe too small? Or was I being too impatient? I was flicking the rod up a couple times every few reels when I thought I was at the bottom. Cast and waited a bit for the line to go slack before tightening the line.

ChrisTaylor
Has liked: 27 times

Post by ChrisTaylor » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:30 pm

Bobbie009 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:46 pm
smokin_reels wrote:
I don't think they were getting to the bottom. Had a 3.5 zman minnow plastic with a 1/6 2/0 jig. Maybe too small? Or was I being too impatient? I was flicking the rod up a couple times every few reels when I thought I was at the bottom. Cast and waited a bit for the line to go slack before tightening the line.
I fish land-based, so normally I use very light line and very light jig heads. Small plastics, too. 2.5 is about as large as I go most of the time. I use smaller hooks. 1s and 4s and occasionally 8s. So ... take that into consideration. My situation is different to yours, but I do fish the Frankston area a lot.

Fishing with plastics is a little bit like riding a bicycle. You can be told how to do it, and you can watch some YouTube clips (LandfishTV is good), but you won't really understand it until you actually do it. A lot.

Some basic points:

- If there's a bit of movement in the water and you're fishing light (1/12oz or less, I guess, but that's really a figure I just dug out from underneath one of my toenails) I like letting the plastic just get pushed along by the movement of the water every now and then. My logic is that it looks especially vulnerable to a hungry-but-nervous fish.
- Slow down.
- Not everything sits on the bottom. Salmon and pinkies will hit the lure in the middle or top of the water column.
- Slow down.
- It's all about feel. You're relying on that feedback from the line. A lot of guys look at the way the line behaves. With my go-to rod I can feel the bites.
- Slow down. You're a puppet master and you want the lure to look as if it's a little fish or whatsit cruising calmly, going about its business like it's got nothing better to do than sitting down in front of Netflix with a kebab in one hand and a beer in the other.
- There are larger pinkies in the mix. I've caught dozens of the little guys recently, but I pulled in a just-legal last night (he's back down there at this very moment, I presume). I've seen other people do the same.
- If you're working with really light gear and have the drag set for, you know, stuff that isn't a big salmon, a big salmon will easily bust you off. My latest goal is to land one of them with my 4 pound setup. Just for fun.
- Think about hook exposure. Think about the size of the fish likely to be in the area. With those little pinkies, say, they're probably going to hit the tail. And they've got small mouths. Dial the size on everything way down. They don't really engulf the plastic like bream or flathead or salmon do.
- Also make sure the plastic swims straight. If this is a pain in the arse to figure out, check out LandfishTV on YouTube -- he did a little video showing you how to rig common styles of plastic.

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:50 am

Bobbie009 wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:46 pm
smokin_reels wrote:
Go 1/4 oz and let it sink, watch the line for movement. It will stop moving once its on the bottom.
Thats where the flatties are
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Return to “Chelsea to Frankston”