21/2 patterson river

Carrum, Patterson River/Lakes, Aspendale, Edithvale, Chelsea, Seaford, Frankston
sasquatch972
Has liked: 21 times

21/2 patterson river

Post by sasquatch972 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:47 pm

went to the river and fished from about 7:30 till 10:30pm, plenty of others around, one guy catching a fair amount of baby bream think he got a fair sized keeper just as we pulled up, one of my friends managed to catch a small undersize bream and another fish we werent really too sure about, another guy there thought it was a toadie but upon looking it up it seems to look like a baby Dusky flathead,abit fatter and darker green spotty colour than the more common flatheads around this area, its dorsal fins and group of spikes behind the head made me think it wasnt a toadie.
all in all wasnt too bad, was abit of a pain contending with the rain and lightning but will head out there again very soon, most likely tomorrow and hopefully land some legal sized bream!
baits used were sandworms and prawns. :reel:

Linc

Re: 21/2 patterson river

Post by Linc » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:39 am

You should be able to pick a toady from a flathead pretty easily. Flathead = flat on the bottom, toady = rather round

Thanks for the report though, I bet the guy catching them all was using fresh/live bait was he?

sasquatch972

Post by sasquatch972 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:39 am

yeah i know, ive caught many toadies at mordialloc before but it was nothing like it. toadies dont usually have fins across the back in a straight line aross the spine, and are alot fatter from what ive seen. but of course im not 100%, im not an experienced fisherman, just pretty sure it wasnt a toadie.
i think the guy catching alot of bream was using frozen prawns as well but i think he just knew what he was doing lol
Going to head there again tonight, if i catch a fish similar to that one in question ill get some good photos of it to analise it better, it had the same style of spiny fins along its back as a dusky flathead,and looks very similar to the smaller ones ive seen photos of...

Lajon

Post by Lajon » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:41 pm

Thinking it was probably a species of gurnard

Linc

Post by Linc » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:52 pm

Did it look like either of these? I caught both of these at the patterson river a few years back

They are apparently a type of Goby

sasquatch972

Post by sasquatch972 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:23 pm

i think you might be on the money with that bottom picture linc! it was abit darker though.

Linc

Post by Linc » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:36 pm

there's quite a few different coloured goby if u Google image it. they don't grow more than a few inches. interesting little fish

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

sasquatch972

Post by sasquatch972 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:27 pm

yeah it was only about 12-15cm long. Looking it up they say theres 2000 species within the Goby Group.

Lajon

Post by Lajon » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:13 pm

Ah is that what they are called, thought they must have been young gurnards..... there is a heap of them in that river

sasquatch972

Post by sasquatch972 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:25 am

just got back from the river, fished 7pm (ish) to 1am... nothing much early on at all.. was fishing up stream from the boat ramps and got 2 annoying Toadies on sandworms, so went back down in between the boat ramps near the chairs and got another toadie on sandworm again so decided to stick to just the prawns and got nothing, then at about 12:15am one of my rods nearly went for a swim, managed to hook a rather large bream that spat the hook as i got it to the surface.... then about 5 mins later the other rod starts sliding on the ground abit, luckily enough i managed to land this one and it was a 18cm bream, took abit to get the hook out though and caused abit of bleeding so i let it swim around in a bucket of water for abit to clean it then threw it back, first time ive caught a bream in years... must say they felt like they fight pretty damn nicely for their size....
Attachments
Bream.jpg
approx 18cm
Bream.jpg (70.25 KiB) Viewed 1152 times

Return to “Chelsea to Frankston”