Catching live bait

Carrum, Patterson River/Lakes, Aspendale, Edithvale, Chelsea, Seaford, Frankston
Sputnik22

Catching live bait

Post by Sputnik22 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:32 pm

Hi - a bit of a newbie here. Well, I'll be honest, a complete newbie.

I want to try to catch some live shrimp for targeting bream. I was told Patterson river was a good spot for this. How do you do it and is this the best spot?

Cheers.

Fish-Hunter

Re: Catching live bait

Post by Fish-Hunter » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:46 pm

Buy yourself a shrimp net & a Alvey bait pump first , find some weed beds & run the net through them . If shrimp are about they will be trapped in the net , use the bait pump @ low tide to find worm or yabbie holes & pump them out .
But be sure to check with local DPI / fisheries laws , as some places i think dont allow shrimp netting .

sasquatch972
Has liked: 21 times

Post by sasquatch972 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:54 pm

just go around in the shallows on the opposite side to the boat ramps with a small shrimp net at patterson river, see heaps of people doing it.. even caught a handfull of shrimp once when just filling the bucket up down one of the boat ramps.

Sputnik22

Post by Sputnik22 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:44 pm

thanks guys - will give it a go

Sputnik22

Post by Sputnik22 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:32 pm

ok - so i gave it a go this afternoon opposite the boat launching place. I got some shrimp, but for the time it took to catch these, I need to find a better spot or improve my technique. I proved two things though, the shrimp are there and I can catch them. I basically had a long necked net and thrust it out as far as I could and dragged it back where I could see weeds. This seemed to work, but not nearly enough shrimp here.

Open for suggestions still. . . . .

sasquatch972
Has liked: 21 times

Post by sasquatch972 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:55 pm

would be better at night mate, thats when i see about 20 people there just netting them.. can also see heaps swimming in close to the walls along the river.

Sputnik22

Post by Sputnik22 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:02 pm

night time - check

will try again tonight

when you say the walls, you mean along where the boats get launched, ie south side?

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:14 pm

MIKER wrote:Buy yourself a shrimp net & a Alvey bait pump first , find some weed beds & run the net through them . If shrimp are about they will be trapped in the net , use the bait pump @ low tide to find worm or yabbie holes & pump them out .
But be sure to check with local DPI / fisheries laws , as some places i think dont allow shrimp netting .

my read of the rules (http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/fisheries/rec ... tidal-zone) is that shrimp are protected in PPB unless you're getting them from more than 2m underwater....although I may be wrong, it is pretty confusing.

Sputnik22

Post by Sputnik22 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:44 pm

kaotay wrote:
MIKER wrote:Buy yourself a shrimp net & a Alvey bait pump first , find some weed beds & run the net through them . If shrimp are about they will be trapped in the net , use the bait pump @ low tide to find worm or yabbie holes & pump them out .

my read of the rules (http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/fisheries/rec ... tidal-zone) is that shrimp are protected in PPB unless you're getting them from more than 2m underwater....although I may be wrong, it is pretty confusing.

thanks - will check this out, don't want to break the rules

Sputnik22

Post by Sputnik22 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:51 pm

Sputnik22 wrote:
kaotay wrote:

thanks - will check this out, don't want to break the rules
Just read over this - it says shrimp can be taken in the intertidal zone by approved methods, hand het nets being one. I am good to go based on this. Cheers.

Return to “Chelsea to Frankston”