WPB possible fishing spot ?

Flinders, Shoreham, Point Leo, Balnarring, Merricks Beach, Somers, Stony Point, Crib Point
crookedfingers

Post by crookedfingers » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:43 am

hi guys,
sorry if this has been answered before but I have had a look around and can't see any threads on this topic.

A couple of weeks ago the FIL and I were out on WPB and drove past the sandy little point just south of the tidal flats near Stony Point, opposite Tortoise Head.

The water here drops from beach to about 5/6m very quickly, I wanted to drop some lines in and jig or spin a little too, FIL wanted to move on.

Has anyone fished this point, land based or boat ?
Any bites ?!

I will be out on WPB this sunday and probably will give it a go, .

Cheers in advance.
CF

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: WPB possible fishing spot ?

Post by Nude up » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:40 am

I have looked at that spot a few times looks great on the sounder but was only good for flathead small pinkies I will try again

crookedfingers

Post by crookedfingers » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:03 am

oh thanks nude up.
I reckon I will check it out.
CF

ncr1

Post by ncr1 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:11 am

The tide absolutely rips through at this spot. So I wouldn't bother landbased as you'll probably only get maybe half an hour tops either side of slack water before the tide is too strong to hold bottom.

In a boat it can be very on and off. I've only caught one decent fish there (~10kg gummy on an 8oz lead in the middle of the run-in), but that's about it except for what nude up described. I've certainly heard of good runs of bigger snapper there, but it certainly would be a case of right place-right time for that.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:03 pm

Pickup a few whiting there but mostly small undersized flathead

crookedfingers

Post by crookedfingers » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:25 pm

Cheers guys.
Will be fishing the run out tide as we might not head out until late morning due to winds, try to avoid too much chop. ( will have three young blokes under 10 on board)

Might still give it a whirl. Too many other spots that usually produce to go to. Maybe a recon trip one day to find new spots for myself !

Thanks again.
CF

crookedfingers

Post by crookedfingers » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:56 pm

Righto.

Didn't get out last week on account of wind.

Took the wife and two ankle biters out today.
Good day out.

Launched at Stony Point at about 9.30am….late start, couldn't even imagine getting the kiddies up early, not to mention the misses !! hahaha.
Straight up to Yaringa to meet up with Brother and Father in Law.
Dopped a line in, pipi on, flicked a jig or two, had a baited jig out also…..nothing. So I decided to hit up the place I started this thread about.
Got there, sat right on the drop off from 1m to 6m.….nothin !! Not a bite. Was low tide, just starting to flow back in. Ah well, I wanted to fish there, I did.
I had out a snapper outfit, for the heck of it, two rods with pipi/squid and was also casting soft plastics onto the shallows and reeling them back down in to the deeper water. But nothin ! Ah well.

Hunger got the better of us and we went around to Rhyll to get fish n chips…yummo.
While we were eating we dropped in a couple of rods in a likely looking spot, nice sandy patch in between some weed beds….nope !! hahaha

So after a feed we went to silverleaves and dropped anchor in about 6m, a few bites yay !!!!!….no hook ups.
We headed out to sort of somewhere between tortoise head and cowes, a few bites…still no luck.

Ended up up heading around to somewhere I forget the name of, between tortoise head and the ferry jetty to french island, sorry I don't know the name of it.
Got four whiting, the wife managed to land one that was 40cm !! A good looking fish ! We each got two, I had one spit the hook right at the boat ! Bugger !

Was a good day, boating is fun and we caught ourselves a feed !
CF

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

Post by seephil » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:05 pm

Great report. Sounds like everyone still had fun out on the water. Great to hear you finally managed some decent fish after all that hard work. Well done!

crookedfingers

Post by crookedfingers » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:41 am

Here are the KGdubs
The big one is 40cm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CF

Return to “Flinders to Hastings”