Hastings Report - 8/3/15

Flinders, Shoreham, Point Leo, Balnarring, Merricks Beach, Somers, Stony Point, Crib Point
Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Hastings Report - 8/3/15

Post by Scraglor » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:00 pm

Hi Guys,

So we launched about 2:00pm yesterday, hoping to jag a few whiting, then chase some gummies after dark.

We headed straight for the secret whiting spot, however, as luck would have it, whiting wasnt on the menu tonight. We dropped anchor, and the old man was onto a nice table sized pinkie before I even had a line in. This was usually a good sign at this spot, as normally you have no idea what you are going to connect onto until it happens, however after a few pan size pinkies, and a ton of undersized ones, we were losing hope. Bites were pretty full one, however, once the bait esky was full of scad and slimeys, we thought it was time to move, as there wasnt much else coming aboard.

Off to middle spit we head, and after half an hour, we were regretting leaving the last spot, as even though they werent the most glamorous fish to catch, at least they were a bit of fun. To compound not getting any bites, as well as having the wind blowing against the tide, and swinging the boat wildly around, we thought it time to move. Tyabb Bank was the next choice, however, before any move, a cuppa is needed (A cuppa is the best berley going around) and before we knew it, rods were going left right and center. Turns out we were onto a patch of large mullet (about 35-42cm) We ended up with 18, however we probably dropped twice this amount before we realised that you need to swing them in as they get to the top, rather than net them. Ah well.

We then head out deep as darkness set, hoping for a gummy, however, we didnt get a touch.

Final Tally;
3x Pan sized pinkies to 35cm
22x Yakkas to 29cm
5x Slimeys to 39cm (really chunky)
18x mullet to 42cm
4x Grass Whiting
3x LJs (long skinny ones)

Also, has anyone eaten the bigger mullet? Im considering it, as I have tried most other bait fish, however, im not in a great mood for testing fish atm.

While it wasnt a very good session on the table fish, it was at least an entertaining arvo out, and at least kept us busy.

PS: I have attached a photo, cos I like seeing photos with reports :P I wish I had a better one, but that is a mullet on a large dinner plate (for reference)

Scraglor

Re: Hastings Report - 8/3/15

Post by Scraglor » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:15 pm

Sorry guys, I cant upload the file on my PC, tapatalk or my Phone. Looks like the forum is having issues.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:23 pm

Scraglor wrote:Sorry guys, I cant upload the file on my PC, tapatalk or my Phone. Looks like the forum is having issues.
Your right mate there are some issues, we are all having trouble, just bear with it for now, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:31 pm

davek wrote:
Scraglor wrote:Sorry guys, I cant upload the file on my PC, tapatalk or my Phone. Looks like the forum is having issues.
Your right mate there are some issues, we are all having trouble, just bear with it for now, cheers davo
All good mate! Still love the forum!

foggybottom

Post by foggybottom » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:58 pm

Mullet aren't bad on the fang. They're quite oily, but if you cook them with plenty of flavour added (my favourite is harissa paste) they're fine. I always bake them whole so bones aren't too big an issue but they're far from the boniest fish anyway.

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:03 pm

We're the yak as the gummy bait? Generally goes alright for gummies
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:07 pm

Less of the secret spots scraglor, great report pity about the gummies were you up around 12 or 13 I have heard thats the place to be

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:35 am

We were in about 15, so maybe too deep. Will keep trying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Flinders to Hastings”