Shoreham and Point Leo 13/12

Flinders, Shoreham, Point Leo, Balnarring, Merricks Beach, Somers, Stony Point, Crib Point
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Shoreham and Point Leo 13/12

Post by 4liters » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:22 pm

Sleep is for the weak right? Only 5 hours of it for me last night and it was time to load up the car, turn up the stereo and I was off to give the squid population at Flinders Bight a hard time.

Launched at first light, a bit later than I would have liked because the sounder wiring decided it wanted to break so I had to spend 20 minute using my rusty old fishing pliers to strip some insulation off the remain cable until I had enough exposed wiring to connect to the battery. With the corroded pin on the power plug as well I'm really going to have to put some work into the bloody thing soon before it craps itself somewhere inconvenient.
Looking towards Flinders

I paddled out to about 7m and deployed the arsenal, the first squid fell to a rainbow yama and went straight to the bait esky. That jig was sacrificed to a snag about 5 min later when I wasn't paying attention and drifted into shallow water.
Shoreham beach, with my new fish bag in the foreground.

The next squid was a whopper, I got it on a silver whiting bait on a handline. Bringing it in was a delicate process and took a while, the positive from it was it had no ink left by the time I got it next to the yak because those big ones have made a habit of redecorating the interior of the kayak. The squid prong hit a snag not long after, catching a squid was the kiss of death for my tackle today but I certainly got my money's worth out if it.

I drifted for a little longer but to no avail so I decided to check out a mark I spotted on navionics. It was tricky fishing because there was a big swell coming in through the entrance, which kept lifting the anchor off the bottom, combined with a stiff breeze and a strong tide flow. The anchor ended up dragging, and in the end I just gave up on trying to get it to stick and went along with it. First fish was a yakka, which was promptly cut up into strip baits, the next fish was a really nice gummy, I got it to the side of the yak without any dramas, in fact it was docile enough to sit there while I took photos of it. It didn't appreciate me grabbing it's tail though, it went berserk, dived under the yak and spat the hook.
The gummy, it took a yakka head.

The next couple of fish were a couple of mid 30s flathead, I was dealing with them when one of the snapper rods went off. I thought it was a big pinky at first because it was putting up a fair old fight. Then I saw the elongated body which made me happy, a nice salmon for the bait box. Fair to say I was pretty surprised when the biggest whiting I have ever seen came to the surface, not what I was expecting to take a yakka strip on a 5/0 circle hook. It ended up going 45cm.
PB whiting

By this stage the wind had swung around from the south east and was blowing against the outgoing tide, which made for some pretty uncomfortable conditions for kayaking and almost impossible conditions for fishing so I began the long paddle back. Even worse, the direct route to the beach was perpendicular to the waves which meant a lot of water was coming over the sides.

The beach was pretty crowded when I got back, and someone got there car bogged while retrieving their boat, much to the amusement of a couple of locals. They got it out after a bit of ******* around, but he'll have a lot of salt on the underside of the car.

Tomorrow's dinner. Also got a nice big bag of bait from the scraps and frames for next time.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

SFP Guy.

Re: Shoreham and Point Leo 13/12

Post by SFP Guy. » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:46 pm

Nice Haul mate!

Cam.

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:54 pm

Yeah, can't complain (no one would listen anyway). Landing that gummy would have turned a good day into a great day though.
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:26 pm

Nice tasty bag ripper

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:24 pm

Nice KGW :thumbsup:

drewb

Post by drewb » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:11 am

good report mate

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:50 am

Nice catch :)

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:29 pm

Nice job, can't wait to get over that area and hit some squid. when and if I ever get the bloody kayak stuff sorted out.

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:40 pm

Nice haul there! Great sized squid, shame about the gummy though
Cast, catch and put it back

4liters

Post by 4liters » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:12 pm

Brett wrote:Nice job, can't wait to get over that area and hit some squid. when and if I ever get the bloody kayak stuff sorted out.
It's an awesome place to fish, you're always a chance of getting a gummy (or something toothier), huge squid are around, lots of whiting, and bugger all boat traffic compared to other parts.

I might give the snapper mark one more crack before Christmas (this time with a heavier anchor) but if that doesn't come off then I'll have to start looking in the better known locations for a good one.

Return to “Flinders to Hastings”