Shoreham 29/10

Flinders, Shoreham, Point Leo, Balnarring, Merricks Beach, Somers, Stony Point, Crib Point
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Shoreham 29/10

Post by 4liters » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:36 pm

Went to Shoreham to avoid the boats, it worked a treat because there were only ever an couple within sight at any given time. With the barometer dropping like a stone I didn't bother targeting snapper, instead starting out after squid.
It was a perfect morning, light winds low swell and the incoming tide was bringing in plenty of clean water. The squid were pretty hard to come by though and weed inflicted carnage on my jig collection (luckily most of them were freebies from work).

Eventually a BOLKO yamashita picked up a couple before it was sacrificed to the weed, and my ever reliable if somewhat chewed white yama got one too:

Then came a bit of excitement: in about 3m not far behind the breaking waves a white and purple jig I had tea bagging in the rod holder went screaming off. No pulses to begin with so I though maybe it had foul hooked a small eagle ray or something, but eventually it settled into a series of pulsing runs which told me it was a squid. It was a long fight because I was wary of putting too much pressure on and pulling the barbs out, and then when I got it yakside it was too big to fit in the net easily.
It ended up measuring 47cm, which is a PB for me by a big margin
I got another slightly smaller one not long after

With enough squid for food and bait I headed out wider to an area a local told me about last time I was down that way, it was about 2km for land but it was an easy paddle in the conditions. I anchored up in 12m and deployed prawns and squid bits but struggled to lose a bait. I took some photos to fill in time, chatted to some mates on FB, and so on but after an hour of no action I decided it was time to move on.
(excuse the crud on the lens)

Something I had been wanting to investigate was the possibility of trolling for flatties over the sandy areas around Point Leo surf beach so I headed north to check it out. I trolled a lure on the way up but only got a couple of half-hearted hits, I guess the barometer was making the fish a bit lethargic or something. When I got there I found it wasn't really possible due to the confined area of sand between the breaking waves and the weed but I tried a couple of lures anyway. Didn't get any flathead but I did pick up a 55cm pike on a Berkley flicker shad

By then I was running late for an evening with some friends so I headed back to the car. It was good to get out on the water again; a combination of exams, weather and now work had made it hard to find time to go fishing and I think it was close to a month since I was last out. While the fishing itself was a little underwhelming (a gummy would have been nice), it was cool to get a new PB.
We had the big squid for dinner, marinated in chili, pepper, lime juice, sesame oil and salt, and then BBQed over charcoal for about 30s. It was a bit tougher than I would have liked but nice nonetheless.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Re: Shoreham 29/10

Post by Basti » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:17 am

That's a nice PB mate. Should have kept him for bait and eastern the smaller ones.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Shoreham 29/10

Post by 4liters » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:03 am

yeah, might do that in the future
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Flinders to Hastings”