What a tough day.

Flinders, Shoreham, Point Leo, Balnarring, Merricks Beach, Somers, Stony Point, Crib Point
rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: What a tough day.

Post by rb85 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:06 pm

MsShimano wrote:
rb85 wrote:No squid or muscle? What depths did you fish, tide, burley, rigs etc?

Where do I start? Used live mussels and live pippies, caught a squid and cut him up fresh. Also had some fresh cuttlefish.. bait sorted. Had some good berley. Fished 2 hours before and after tide change. Used a whiting assassin with a stradic 3000. Felt every nibble. Had a paternoster rig with a circle hook. It was a beautiful day... every other fish except the damn ting.
Braid or Mono? What depth? Noise in the boat? Anchor noise? Amount of moves? Time Between moves? Water clarity? Sometimes the ting can be tough but 1%ers help.

MsShimano

Post by MsShimano » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:11 pm

I used braid with a mono leader. I tried depth ranging del
3-16m. Moved every 20 mins.. water was super clear. No noiaw in the boat apart from the water slapping the hull. Anchor was quiet. Honestly I think I'm going to do a whiting charter....
Of course I talk to my self while fishing.. sometimes I need expert advice! :fishing:

MsShimano

Post by MsShimano » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:11 pm

rb85 wrote:
MsShimano wrote:
rb85 wrote:No squid or muscle? What depths did you fish, tide, burley, rigs etc?

Where do I start? Used live mussels and live pippies, caught a squid and cut him up fresh. Also had some fresh cuttlefish.. bait sorted. Had some good berley. Fished 2 hours before and after tide change. Used a whiting assassin with a stradic 3000. Felt every nibble. Had a paternoster rig with a circle hook. It was a beautiful day... every other fish except the damn ting.
Braid or Mono? What depth? Noise in the boat? Anchor noise? Amount of moves? Time Between moves? Water clarity? Sometimes the ting can be tough but 1%ers help.
I used braid with a mono leader. I tried depth ranging from 3-16m. Moved every 20 mins.. water was super clear. No noise in the boat apart from the water slapping the hull. Anchor was quiet. You can't even hear the motor on idle!!! Honestly I think I'm going to do a whiting charter....
Of course I talk to my self while fishing.. sometimes I need expert advice! :fishing:

rb85

Post by rb85 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:16 pm

Something isn't working. Sometimes I find Mono better than braid for shallow whiting. Maybe bait presentation it's hard to judge without seeing everyone has a bad day from time to time mind you.

MsShimano

Post by MsShimano » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:18 pm

rb85 wrote:Something isn't working. Sometimes I find Mono better than braid for shallow whiting. Maybe bait presentation it's hard to judge without seeing everyone has a bad day from time to time mind you.

Yes they do.. but I have NEVER been able to catch one!!!!

Kadmium

Post by Kadmium » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:19 pm

Personally I like mono straight through. I feel braid isn't needed for whiting but that's just my opinion. Also I use a simple dropper loop rig or pre tied whiting snatchers. Don't need to be fancy. When the spotted bones are on they are on.
Species Comp 16/17

Salt: KGW 36cm - Squid 35cm - Salmon 22cm - Flathead 34cm - EP 35cm - Total Salt 162cm

Fresh: Carp 55cm - Total Fresh 55cm

TOTAL : 217cm

rb85

Post by rb85 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:24 pm

Kadmium wrote:Personally I like mono straight through. I feel braid isn't needed for whiting but that's just my opinion. Also I use a simple dropper loop rig or pre tied whiting snatchers. Don't need to be fancy. When the spotted bones are on they are on.
I agree with everything you said until you called them spotted bones? Its like calling snapper pags.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:33 pm

go down and have a chat to wayne at southern sportsfishing ps nice boat

MsShimano

Post by MsShimano » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:39 pm

Kadmium wrote:Personally I like mono straight through. I feel braid isn't needed for whiting but that's just my opinion. Also I use a simple dropper loop rig or pre tied whiting snatchers. Don't need to be fancy. When the spotted bones are on they are on.
I have 15 whiting snatchers I should try them next time... thanks

ChrisAbout

Post by ChrisAbout » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:41 pm

Its called fishing for a reason MsShimano.

Return to “Flinders to Hastings”