Flinders pier Shark and Stingray

Flinders, Shoreham, Point Leo, Balnarring, Merricks Beach, Somers, Stony Point, Crib Point
enrioray

Flinders pier Shark and Stingray

Post by enrioray » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:56 am

Hi guys.

Just here to give a report of last night fishing at Flinders pier. The weather was really nice with suns out and less wind. I arrived there about 4pm with high tide at 4.30pm. We were a bit late but it seemed that everyone was catching grass whiting. Heaps of them around. And also calamari as well, using squid jigs and prongs. But i wasnt targeting those whiting and calamari. I was there for the gummies. I used cured eel for my bait and got hooked into a carpet shark i guess. Released it back after it. Then when everyone started to head back home around 6, we continued to fish for gummies. There was one gummies around 1.5 1.7 meters was swimming just around the piers with 5 huuuggeee stingrays. I tried to catch the gummies cause it stays around the pier for quite a long time, but it was not on the appetite for the eel. As for by catch, i got this snake or eels on silver whiting. I changed the bait to grass whiting fillet, then Boom, biggest pulled ever from the giant stingray (maybe around 120 pounds). I was using Daiwa Sensor Tournament surf rod with 6000 sized Penn combat, coupled with 30lbs suffix braid and 50lbs fluorocarbon leader and big octopus hook. Took me half an hour, but eventually the giant won the battle. I wasnt really able to pull it in near the pier, and it snapped the end of my leader.

I think flinders pier at night time holds some pretty monsters that catch my attention to come back and tame them.

REMEMBER TO BRING GAME REELS WHEN GOING THERE GUYS!
Attachments
IMG_7743.jpg
Carpet shark

Kosta7

Re: Flinders pier Shark and Stingray

Post by Kosta7 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:14 pm

Good report and effort mate!

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:17 pm

Looks like a swell shark. They are a bloody pest and are everywhere down the south end of the port at this time of year.
Ive never seen gummies swim around pylons of piers before, are you sure they were gummies?

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:20 pm

Good stuff mate. Good luck with the gummies :thumbsup:

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:34 pm

Oh no don't let project banjo know you hooked a stingray you bad bad fisherman you.

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Bayrock » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:42 am

With public opinion so hot on rays and banjo's fishing for rays is becoming a risky business, best to keep it after dark. There are brutes around that pier and the stony point one too, the divers like to float around them

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:14 am

crumpet_avenger wrote:Looks like a swell shark. They are a bloody pest and are everywhere down the south end of the port at this time of year.
Ive never seen gummies swim around pylons of piers before, are you sure they were gummies?
Sounds more like 7 giller behaviour, but you never know.

enrioray

Post by enrioray » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:28 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:Looks like a swell shark. They are a bloody pest and are everywhere down the south end of the port at this time of year.
sorry for the late late reply.. been away for some times.. i did a bit of research and talked to a guy from compleat angler. and apparently it was not a gummy swimming around pylons. Cause the sharks the we can see swimming on the surface would be something like bronzie or bull shark or tiger shark. Maybe that was also the reason it wasnt interested in the eel bait

enrioray

Post by enrioray » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:31 pm

Bayrock wrote:With public opinion so hot on rays and banjo's fishing for rays is becoming a risky business, best to keep it after dark. There are brutes around that pier and the stony point one too, the divers like to float around them
What do most people say about rays by the way? cause back in my home country, we all eat sting rays and it taste great. sorry for the late reply tho

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:41 pm

Great report you get around st kilda then flinders.

Return to “Flinders to Hastings”