Advice on Flinders Squid

Flinders, Shoreham, Point Leo, Balnarring, Merricks Beach, Somers, Stony Point, Crib Point
LachyBell

Advice on Flinders Squid

Post by LachyBell » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:36 am

Flinders is a place I usually go, I take a a bait rod and a squid rod. I usually use a 2.5 white jig or a 2.5 brown jig. Barely ever get them though. Advice on times to go, what tide is right and what jigs to use. My favourite are the Yamashitas.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Advice on Flinders Squid

Post by purple5ive » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:59 am

watch what the locals are doing, use a float if you dont mind doing it that way.
Rui jigs work very well there for some reason. whiting colour was working well for my cousin last few trips

LachyBell

Post by LachyBell » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:58 pm

Thanks heaps mate, will try next time

STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Post by STriplett1997 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:21 pm

Try the Shimano Sephia range in size 3, they always seem to work well in Western port especially the all white model 14T.

Id just keep fishing the pier at different times each time you go until you see some sort of pattern form. Tide changes coinciding with sunset/sunrise, first two and last two hours of each tide. Whenever I’ve caught them in numbers from the piers it’s been sunset sessions

LachyBell

Post by LachyBell » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:33 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:Try the Shimano Sephia range in size 3, they always seem to work well in Western port especially the all white model 14T.

Id just keep fishing the pier at different times each time you go until you see some sort of pattern form. Tide changes coinciding with sunset/sunrise, first two and last two hours of each tide. Whenever I’ve caught them in numbers from the piers it’s been sunset sessions
Ive got that jig, ill try it next time mate

AE092
Has liked: 5 times

Post by AE092 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:56 pm

Try a 3-3.5 size jig and cut the bottom half of the barbs off, leaving just the 4 prongs ontop to avoid snags. Most productive time of day is day break or last light and an hour or two before/after. Overcast days there can also be productive as well and the more action you import on the jig, the more success you may have. Good luck

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:06 pm

The full glow (not the UV one) yama is by far my favorite jig. At flinders fish heavier leaders and mainlines to pull your jig out. 45 minutes around Moonrise is another bite window in addition to the ones already mentioned.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

LachyBell

Post by LachyBell » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:52 pm

AE092 wrote:Try a 3-3.5 size jig and cut the bottom half of the barbs off, leaving just the 4 prongs ontop to avoid snags. Most productive time of day is day break or last light and an hour or two before/after. Overcast days there can also be productive as well and the more action you import on the jig, the more success you may have. Good luck
Thanks heaps mate, definitely will try next time!

LachyBell

Post by LachyBell » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:53 pm

DougieK wrote:The full glow (not the UV one) yama is by far my favorite jig. At flinders fish heavier leaders and mainlines to pull your jig out. 45 minutes around Moonrise is another bite window in addition to the ones already mentioned.
Yeh, I just bought a black full glow yama, probably try it off Morno first. Thanks for the advice!

slinga

Post by slinga » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:56 pm

3.5 minimum size!!

Return to “Flinders to Hastings”