Squid rig set up

Flinders, Shoreham, Point Leo, Balnarring, Merricks Beach, Somers, Stony Point, Crib Point
FishHunter81

Squid rig set up

Post by FishHunter81 » Sat May 11, 2019 8:47 am

Hi guys. After some advice on rig set up and mainly distance between float and squid prong for fishing at Flinders pier. I will be using a surf rod set up with float set up want to make sure the bait gets down where squid might be without getting snagged around that whole pier area. Any tips appreciated

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Squid rig set up

Post by 4liters » Sat May 11, 2019 8:57 am

It’s probably not as important as you think, squid will come a long way off the bottom for a feed if they see something they like the look of. I’ve got one in 26m on a jig that was only a few meters below the surface.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Sat May 11, 2019 9:30 am

never tried that method

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sat May 11, 2019 9:42 am

Usea float stopper....so you can adjust depth
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat May 11, 2019 9:54 am

e.welch wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:30 am
never tried that method
It’s a good method. Many times I’ve gone for squid I’ve just left a silver whiting out under a float while casting a squid jig and it’s worked :thumbsup:

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Sat May 11, 2019 11:22 am

will have to try it

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Sat May 11, 2019 9:03 pm

Just a very small tip.. use a small clip so that you can quickly change jigs without having to re-tie any knots if you want to go for a different colour.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Sat May 11, 2019 10:35 pm

I'd put a meter or two under a big float, with light if you fish at night. Since you're using surf rod, you can have fixed float, or use sliding float with a stopper. Even a simple rubber band tied to the line will do to stop the running float.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Aaron75
Has liked: 68 times

Post by Aaron75 » Sat May 11, 2019 11:42 pm

I use a little bit of rubber tubing. Cut 2 - 3mm of it, feed your line through it twice, then pull the line tight so the rubber twists itself onto the line. Then you can push it up and down the line to adjust depth, and you can cast it through the guides if you want 3 or more metres of leader. I use this method at Sorrento, Portsea and Flinders with 3 - 4m depth, so the rubber stopper is usually on the reel when I cast. If you go there in daylight and do some experimentation with different depths in different spots you'll soon figure out how deep to have your bait. Like 4litres said it doesn't have to be right on the bottom, but I always try to have it within a metre.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue May 14, 2019 1:31 pm

The stopper is a great way of doing a squid float- prong setup. I just find in a flowing tide the prong jag gets lifted up the water column.

the set float is what i prefer BUT it is awkward to cast and if set too deep, it is difficult to land the squid over the Pier railings.

I have a set float BUT it's adjustable , , , , see pics below

squid float 1.JPG
squid float 1.JPG (11.08 KiB) Viewed 4177 times

squid float 2.JPG
squid float 2.JPG (11.07 KiB) Viewed 4177 times

squid float 3.JPG
squid float 3.JPG (9.45 KiB) Viewed 4177 times

When I have a squid float out with a pronged fish bait I try to do one of three things.

1. Have it out while fishing for something else

2. Try and drift it out or cast it out to an area that looks promising AND that squid jag casters can't reach

3. Very important; If I have a float jag out AND casting a squid jag out as well, I always have the float halfway along my cast area. This allows any squid that may follow my cast/retrieve jag BUT doesn't take my jag, it has then still got a chance that the squid's interest is now on my float prong fish bait jag. ie. stirs up the squid which then takes the float setup. Because why entice a squid (without knowing) just to bring it close to the pier for someone else to catch.

Cheers, Bugatti

Return to “Flinders to Hastings”