Squid/Salmon at Hearn Road

Mornington, Mt Martha, McCrae, Safety Beach, Mt Eliza
Larksy88

Re: Squid/Salmon at Hearn Road

Post by Larksy88 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:54 am

Next time you're heading down send me a PM, i'm only round the corner so i might have a sesh with you

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:08 pm

George7 wrote:Well i went there this morning. Got there at 730, high tide was 830. Water was glassed out and it wasnt windy at all. Very clear water.

Started casting out and nothing. No squid following them back or cruising around close by or anything. Fished til about 10 then decided it was no good and gave blaigowrie pier a crack. Donuts again and after a quick bite of cala from the fish shop we gave martha another crack on the way home. Now it was approaching the low tide. Fished from about 1 til 230. Nothing again.

Now one thing todays fishing experience has done is put me against braid... i reckon i spent an hr all up untangling, retying because of braid knots. Absolute pain in the arse. [ANGRY FACE]
Post a photo of your reel. I'm betting too much line..especially saying you were casting in good conditions..if you're casting into a headwind, then you can end up with varying tension spots, which also cause windknots..
Alternatively, if yiu're using a sedona, the newer models are prone to the line catching on the bail arm, if you're not watching, it can cause bunching up, then windknots..

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:56 pm

CarlG wrote:
George7 wrote:Well i went there this morning. Got there at 730, high tide was 830. Water was glassed out and it wasnt windy at all. Very clmetreear water.

Started casting out and nothing. No squid following them back or cruising around close by or anything. Fished til about 10 then decided it was no good and gave blaigowrie pier a crack. Donuts again and after a quick bite of cala from the fish shop we gave martha another crack on the way home. Now it was approaching the low tide. Fished from about 1 til 230. Nothing again.

Now one thing todays fishing experience has done is put me against braid... i reckon i spent an hr all up untangling, retying because of braid knots. Absolute pain in the arse. [ANGRY FACE]
Post a photo of your reel. I'm betting too much line..especially saying you were casting in good conditions..if you're casting into a headwind, then you can end up with varying tension spots, which also cause windknots..
Alternatively, if yiu're using a sedona, the newer models are prone to the line catching on the bail arm, if you're not watching, it can cause bunching up, then windknots..
every 10 casts or so cast out and wind back to ensure line tension. also cheap braid can cause all sorts of problems I had some braid which I finished a 200 spool in 3 sessions due to braid / wind knots.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:57 pm

Fellas rather than start a new thread I might just ask here.
What's the best place to access the bottom rocks around the area for squid without feeling like your going to end up in the drink. I've had a few close calls lately. And am not that keen to go down that path again.
A map would be ideal lol.
I've even thought about outting a rope trail down so we can use that. I have some rope at home that I can spare... (used anchor rope) so if you guys think it's a good idea then maybe we can get together sometime and get it happening
Cheers

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:08 pm

Behind the bus shelter in the south most of the two carparks at the end of hearn road. Not at all a difficult track. Turn right ASAP and walk over the little creek to the reefy bit on the other side. OR turn left and walk to the little bay and jig the reef a bit out from it. Dont' bother for squid at the bottom of the hill directly under the bus shelter.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:10 pm

George7 wrote:Well i went there this morning. Got there at 730, high tide was 830. Water was glassed out and it wasnt windy at all. Very clear water.

viewtopic.php?f=87&t=12211" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:35 pm

Thanks doug.
Might head down there tonight. If anyone else is going ley me know we can have a catch up over there
Cheers

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:02 pm

was there yesterday after a loong hiatus. got one 25cm hood which had a friend follow it in and the guy next to me got two of the same size. left at last light. was going to try again tonight but catching up with a mate from interstate

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:05 pm

purple5ive wrote:Thanks doug.
Might head down there tonight. If anyone else is going ley me know we can have a catch up over there
Cheers

I'm tempted, but this beer is nice :bolt: and I dunno when the wife will be home, to look after the kids Bangg

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:17 pm

Ended up with 5. Not bad I think.still havent wirked out how to get down safely
PS. I fished in front f the first car park. But parked near the bus shelter and tried to follow dougies instructions. Couldn't work out what I was doing in the end but a bit safer than the usual hike. Still managed to fall over once lol. Also pulled in a massive clump of weed that had a yamashita stuck in it...

Return to “Mornington To Dromana”