Balcombe Estuary Fishing

Mornington, Mt Martha, McCrae, Safety Beach, Mt Eliza
LachyBell

Balcombe Estuary Fishing

Post by LachyBell » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:40 am

Going beach hopping on Sunday coming and Im visiting Balcombe Estuary. I have fished it once and caught jack ****, any tips on how to fish it or if the mouth should be open or closed. I have seen heaps of bream in there, I tried using zman 2.5 inch motor oi. grubs last time and didnt even get one hit.

wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Re: Balcombe Estuary Fishing

Post by wem21 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:55 pm

viewtopic.php?f=138&t=20150
thread i made previously has plenty of info on it

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:35 pm

Mouth is probably closed given the lack of rain, and the solid few days of west winds. If the sand bar has been shallow prior to the wind there's going to be a heap of saltwater in the system due to the waves well past the Augusta St bridge (that wooden one you walk over the creek to the dirt road) so fish will be spread far and wide. For the mouth to open naturally water has to be at the base of the closest park bench at the bbq and fishing either stops or goes nuts, no picking which way it'll go.

Only tips I have is move, lots. Take a variety of lures and colours. If I spent a day there I had 1 lure on from car - furthest possible spot, changed lure, back to car, changed lure, back to furthest spot etc.etc. Never got more than 3 in 1 area in 1 go, but a lure change produced more. Learn how to bow and arrow cast in the trees. And lastly they're ******* smart. Very smart. It took me a year of fishing it atleast twice a week with lures to work out How To get consistency in catches at that joint and almost 8 months to get my first. Be patient

wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Post by wem21 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:25 am

cobby wrote:Mouth is probably closed given the lack of rain, and the solid few days of west winds. If the sand bar has been shallow prior to the wind there's going to be a heap of saltwater in the system due to the waves well past the Augusta St bridge (that wooden one you walk over the creek to the dirt road) so fish will be spread far and wide. For the mouth to open naturally water has to be at the base of the closest park bench at the bbq and fishing either stops or goes nuts, no picking which way it'll go.

Only tips I have is move, lots. Take a variety of lures and colours. If I spent a day there I had 1 lure on from car - furthest possible spot, changed lure, back to car, changed lure, back to furthest spot etc.etc. Never got more than 3 in 1 area in 1 go, but a lure change produced more. Learn how to bow and arrow cast in the trees. And lastly they're ******* smart. Very smart. It took me a year of fishing it atleast twice a week with lures to work out How To get consistency in catches at that joint and almost 8 months to get my first. Be patient
How do you bow and arrow cast?

Return to “Mornington To Dromana”