Silverfish unavailable?

Mornington, Mt Martha, McCrae, Safety Beach, Mt Eliza
cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Re: Silverfish unavailable?

Post by cobby » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:08 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:
FishHunter81 wrote:Went to tackle world mornington this evening to pick up some garfish tackle. Went to get some silver fish and they said its no longer available or for sale at tackle shops. He said you may still find places with old stock but other wise its not being sold. This apparently is due to the smaller type being imported from Asia somwhere and it has disease which cannot be put into our waters. Anyway I grabbed some puddy like white dough bait which I'll try tomorrow. Going to try for snapper too around mount Martha on high tide.
Recently I went to BCF after some silverfish only to be told, that they were no longer available as they were not being imported
Definitely still being imported....

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:40 pm

cobby wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:
FishHunter81 wrote:Went to tackle world mornington this evening to pick up some garfish tackle. Went to get some silver fish and they said its no longer available or for sale at tackle shops. He said you may still find places with old stock but other wise its not being sold. This apparently is due to the smaller type being imported from Asia somwhere and it has disease which cannot be put into our waters. Anyway I grabbed some puddy like white dough bait which I'll try tomorrow. Going to try for snapper too around mount Martha on high tide.
Recently I went to BCF after some silverfish only to be told, that they were no longer available as they were not being imported
Definitely still being imported....
Maybe the people who supply those two outlets can't get their hands on any for some reason
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

nato28

Post by nato28 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:55 am

From what I've heard from a few guys the issue at the moment is that a lot of the silverfish that is being imported is too big to be of use as garfish bait. You can still get your hands on it though just need to be picky about what you're buying.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:00 am

nato28 wrote:From what I've heard from a few guys the issue at the moment is that a lot of the silverfish that is being imported is too big to be of use as garfish bait. You can still get your hands on it though just need to be picky about what you're buying.
Lol I read the opposite, it was to small n skinny n fall off hook..

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:15 am

The ones I have seen in the past were too fat and big. I suppose you could use them but would have to trim them down before putting them on the hook.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:48 pm

Lightningx wrote:Might be unavailable there but I have no problem getting it at a nearby servo :)
are they the ones by seaford baits

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:50 pm

bowl wrote:
nato28 wrote:From what I've heard from a few guys the issue at the moment is that a lot of the silverfish that is being imported is too big to be of use as garfish bait. You can still get your hands on it though just need to be picky about what you're buying.
Lol I read the opposite, it was to small n skinny n fall off hook..
the best were the ones from gotch i think ive got 2 packets left

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:03 pm

dazz999 wrote:
Lightningx wrote:Might be unavailable there but I have no problem getting it at a nearby servo :)
are they the ones by seaford baits
I cant remember mate. I put them in a plastic box and haven’t used them for awhile but they are good ones. Always catch when I use them.

GregExplores
Has liked: 67 times

Post by GregExplores » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:41 am

I went to my local BCF yesterday since I was going to go chase some gars in the bay today and they told me they still are not getting any silverfish in. Had to use some old squid from five months ago and didn't even get a bite...

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:03 pm

Yeah I've had a hard time finding them too.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Mornington To Dromana”