Mornington Pier - 09/12 - PM

Mornington, Mt Martha, McCrae, Safety Beach, Mt Eliza
StarrangerAU
Has liked: 58 times

Mornington Pier - 09/12 - PM

Post by StarrangerAU » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:03 am

Found myself at a loose end yesterday afternoon and thought to wet the line at Mornington Pier. Managed to get onsite at 2pm and stayed through to about 7.30pm..... and nary a bite was felt except a bunch of wee Flathead. I was hoping for some decent Pinkies but the SW wind made it a challenge to keep the bait on the bottom way out past the 50 mtr mark. With the lack of any action, I did try to mix it around with pillies cubed, half, & whole, and squid strips, double pato, as well as the float with a 2 mtr drop at 20+ mtrs out (later when the wind swung to SE)....

Yeah, so it was very dry afternoon. I should have known really..... the crane barge was berthed in the marina and looks like there has been further works done on the sea-side of the Pier the past week(?). Might give Mornington a miss for another few months.

*sigh*
Having a awful run lately, aside from junk fish
Sat 08/12 - Sorrento - zip
Thurs 06/12 - Flinders - zip
Sat 1/12 - Inverloch - zip
Mon 26/11 - Sandringham - zip
Sat 24/11 - Warmies - zip
Sat 16/11 - Apollo Bay - zip

benders
Has liked: 169 times

Re: Mornington Pier - 09/12 - PM

Post by benders » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:09 am

By the law of averages you are def due. Next times a charm.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:22 am

Golf must be looking pretty good at this stage :rofl: Don't worry we all have dry spells, maybe target specific fish ? at Flinders fish with pipi and garden worm for grass whiting or KG whiting under the pier ? always have out a couple squid jags under floats ? go lighter on the leaders ? work on your presentation and size of baits ? I must admit that's a lot of Zips you have there.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

StarrangerAU

Post by StarrangerAU » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:57 am

hornet wrote:..... go lighter on the leaders ? work on your presentation and size of baits ? I must admit that's a lot of Zips you have there.
Yes, I think the leaders might be a problem... I amped them up lately because of a bust off that could have been avoided so I thought that I wouldn't let that happen again.... mmmm, looks like it might be best to change down and go lighter. Appreciate the reminder to go check my gear.

BTW, when I say zip, I mean nothing worthy of taking home... still getting junk or undersize salmon, flatties.

A-a-ron
Has liked: 32 times

Post by A-a-ron » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:02 pm

StarrangerAU wrote:Found myself at a loose end yesterday afternoon and thought to wet the line at Mornington Pier. Managed to get onsite at 2pm and stayed through to about 7.30pm..... and nary a bite was felt except a bunch of wee Flathead. I was hoping for some decent Pinkies but the SW wind made it a challenge to keep the bait on the bottom way out past the 50 mtr mark. With the lack of any action, I did try to mix it around with pillies cubed, half, & whole, and squid strips, double pato, as well as the float with a 2 mtr drop at 20+ mtrs out (later when the wind swung to SE)....

Yeah, so it was very dry afternoon. I should have known really..... the crane barge was berthed in the marina and looks like there has been further works done on the sea-side of the Pier the past week(?). Might give Mornington a miss for another few months.

*sigh*
Having a awful run lately, aside from junk fish
Sat 08/12 - Sorrento - zip
Thurs 06/12 - Flinders - zip
Sat 1/12 - Inverloch - zip
Mon 26/11 - Sandringham - zip
Sat 24/11 - Warmies - zip
Sat 16/11 - Apollo Bay - zip
Feel your pain, reckon I’ve got about 15 todies, 5 rays and a banjo and not much else in my last few session. Hoping things take a change for you! Tight lines.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:59 am

The joys of being an LB angler lol

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:19 am

Landbased fishing in Melbourne can be really, really difficult. Try fresh baits and dawn and dusk. Most of the places you're fishing have squid. What i'm doing when i'm successful is flicking a jig around and use the first one you land as your baits. If you don't land a squid just go home. The only time I ever buy bait is if we're somewhere that needs to be fished with spikes or we're going on a really big ledge session.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:31 am

Keep at it mate.

We all struggle some times. My last 5 runs on the boat have netted 1 squid and 2 flatties.

My mojo is well and truly gone at the moment..... but I will keep on keeping on.

StarrangerAU

Post by StarrangerAU » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:51 am

DougieK wrote:.....Try fresh baits and dawn and dusk. Most of the places you're fishing have squid. What i'm doing when i'm successful is flicking a jig around and use the first one you land as your baits. .....
This is what I should be doing, admittedly though I am a bit of a lazy fisho who likes to sit and watch the lines, and not so much flick n move flick n move. But, yeah... I agree that this is probably the best (better) approach. Probs best to invest in some RUI jigs and try this method. Appreciate the tip Dougie

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:36 pm

StarrangerAU wrote:
DougieK wrote:.....Try fresh baits and dawn and dusk. Most of the places you're fishing have squid. What i'm doing when i'm successful is flicking a jig around and use the first one you land as your baits. .....
This is what I should be doing, admittedly though I am a bit of a lazy fisho who likes to sit and watch the lines, and not so much flick n move flick n move. But, yeah... I agree that this is probably the best (better) approach. Probs best to invest in some RUI jigs and try this method. Appreciate the tip Dougie
Rui jigs are great, but in my opinion by far the best performer is the Yamashita R08. I use 3.5's cos casting distance is necessary where i'm fishing but 2.5 or 3 will cut it at mornington. Start casting 20 mins before sunup and use your headlamp on them before each one, they light up like nuclear weapons and are equally effective at slaying squid.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Return to “Mornington To Dromana”