Limitations on how many jigs

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
jacob.s

Limitations on how many jigs

Post by jacob.s » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:38 pm

Hi All,

Just want to get a clarification on how many jigs you could legally have on the one line. For instance, if you have a rod just sitting in the holder is it legal to have 3 jigs on in perhaps in a paternoster style rig etc. I believe their may be different rules for recreational and commercial fishing in this regard but I just want to get clarification because I wan to try a few things if its legal.

Cheers

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: Limitations on how many jigs

Post by mazman » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:20 pm

2 hooks are allowed per a line in victorian waters with a maximum of 4 rods per a person.
http://www.depi.vic.gov.au/fishing-and- ... -equipment
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:32 pm

You are allowed only 2 hooks per line unless its a bait jig. The unbaited bait jigs like sabiki jigs can have 5 hooks but your not allowed to put bait on them.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:35 pm

Tomcat1 wrote:You are allowed only 2 hooks per line unless its a bait jig. The unbaited bait jigs like sabiki jigs can have 5 hooks but your not allowed to put bait on them.
Further to this, in regards to Sabiki lines, I belive you are allowed 6 unbaited hooks one one line, however the hooks can be no more than 2cm in length.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:44 pm

"Lines, Hooks and Jigs

Lines engaged in fishing, whether attached to rods or hand reels, must be attended
Hooks: A gang of four hooks (i.e. linked together by the eye), a treble hook, a keeper hook or a single hook are each classed as one hook. Lures and squid jigs are also classed as one hook.
Keeper hook: An assembly of 2 hooks arranged to secure one bait in one position at the end of a line. The assembly has one hook attached to the end of the line and one hook capable of sliding down the same line and touching the attached hook when unbaited
Bait jig: Up to 6 unbaited lures with hooks less than 2cm in length, attached to a line with a total rig length of up to 3m.
A maximum of 4 lines per person whether attached to rods or not, are permitted in marine waters, with no more than 2 hooks or 1 bait jig attached to each line."

Taken directly from the dpi website.
http://www.depi.vic.gov.au/fishing-and- ... ine-waters

please note this is for marine waters

Cheers Alex
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

jacob.s

Post by jacob.s » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:10 pm

cool, wasn't sure if squid jigs were just classified as a hook or not

Return to “Squid Fishing”