A Really Long Squid Report with Pictures of Squid and stuff

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
AVG_Fisho

A Really Long Squid Report with Pictures of Squid and stuff

Post by AVG_Fisho » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:37 am

Hey all, A Mate (Shazdoggg) and I went for a fish last Friday, Heres the Report.

Launch: 10:00 AM - Kannanook Creek Boat Ramp.

I Meet my Shaz At the ramp, Load our Gear into the Boat and then head off To the squid grounds, Conditions were Good, 3-5 Knots S/E, Blowing off shore So we were Sheltered from the light winds anyway.

We Get to My First Spot, A big reef Patch, really rocky In only 2-3 Meters of water 300 Meters from the beach, Straight away We get the Tunes Cranking, Rage against the machine In the background and we start casting, i think within 5 Casts I Had My first squid, Then Another next cast, Then a Hookup which i dropped on the next cast, Then Shaz starts caching, 1, 2, 3 then 4 and i Pick up one More.

By this time we stop catching, and after awhile we drift off the reef, so we reposition ourselfs over the reef again and start flicking, soon enough we have a hook up, and from then on we start struggling.

The memory is starting to get foggy remembering the details from here on out so This might be a bit wrong Haha.

Anyway, the wind starts going to the north, Bringing with it a fast Drift and More Chop on the water so we decide to head over to another reef i know of where we can troll for some salmon and snook.

After 15-20 minutes of unsuccessfull trolling the wind is still up and we decide to go flick some soft plastics around, after trying 2 spots for only some small flattys and pinkys, The wind starts to die down and we Head Back over to the squid grounds.

We head back to spot one, and Before you know it one of us, Or maybe both of us Were hooked up, and we landed a few more squid, The it went quiet, so after repositioning ourselfs a few more times after drifting off the reef we decide to go try some other spots.

I think at this point we decided to go to another spot from the first 2, And not long after getting to this next spot we are hooked up again, This time in some shallower water, Were we could see the squid and the squid could see us.

This was the best part of the trip IMO, It was entertaining to watch the squid follow and attack our lures, and trying to entice a proper take was fun, it didnt take long and we were catching more squid, at this point we had to do a count to check we werent to far from the bag limit, and i think we had about 16 in total.

We Wanted a bag out session, so at this point it was about 2:30-3:00, and Shaz had to be at the ramp at 4, so we had an hour to get 4 squid, which can sometimes be the biggest struggle.

From here we got 3 more squid and then it started getting slow so we decided to go to one more spot before we head off, where we ended up catching nothing.

we made one more stop on the way to the ramp at spot 1 for nothing there, and i lost the shimano 14t i had been borrowing from Shaz, so sorry about that Haha.

Cheers Shaz for being An enjoyable bloke to fish with as allways and letting me use your jigs while i didn't have many, Much appreciated.

Damo - AVG_Fisho
Attachments
11171578_1040188282675689_612643207_o.jpg
11167589_1040188259342358_93067427_o.jpg
11167192_1040188299342354_84716732_o.jpg
Squids.jpg
Shazdoggg.jpg
Average Angling Adventures
With Specialty Fishing Products
http://www.facebook.com/average.angling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

spudtrans
Has liked: 30 times

Re: A Really Long Squid Report with Pictures of Squid and st

Post by spudtrans » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:30 am

great post, thankyou for your efforts

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:33 am

Nice report time to stock up on jigs!

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:08 am

Nice workd lads. That's a lot of squid. So close to a double bag out though.
Heng he has since visited rui. Lol. Enough said there I think.

cahoona
Has liked: 15 times

Post by cahoona » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:14 am

Great lot of squid you caught there .there's heaps of good size squid around at the moment i've been bagging out most times i go .

JoshW

Post by JoshW » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:18 am

Nice bait sized squid Damon ;)

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:19 am

Great report AF! The 14t jig you recommended for me obviously works!
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Gauci88

Post by Gauci88 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:36 pm

Fantastic report avg, seem like you boys had a great day on the water those white jigs do seem to work wonders had some luck on them myself lately. Keep up to good work . Cheers Michael

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:37 pm

Cheers for a great day on the water Damon! Couldnt have picked a better day for it! :thumbsup:
Rod Bender wrote:Great report AF! The 14t jig you recommended for me obviously works!
cheers
Jim
The 14t was the standout jig for the day I reckon.
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

Jeff67

Post by Jeff67 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:53 am

Not wanting to hijack your thread but I arrived at I'd say the same squid grounds at 3.30pm and fished until 7 for 8 good size squid and lost 4 and threw 1 small one back. All on the Sephia Egixile 29T & 38T.
Rained from 4-6 and got quite lumpy but but calmed just as dark arrived.
Back again this Thur & Fri
Cheers Jeff

Return to “Squid Fishing”