Massive Flinders Squid catches Pike!

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
AE092
Has liked: 5 times

Re: Massive Flinders Squid catches Pike!

Post by AE092 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:56 am

I once kept 5 squid in a mesh holder with the largest squid (38cm hood) managing to eat 3/4 of the head next biggest (about 30cm hood). Was interesting lol

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:55 am

AE092 wrote:I once kept 5 squid in a mesh holder with the largest squid (38cm hood) managing to eat 3/4 of the head next biggest (about 30cm hood). Was interesting lol
They are bigger than the rest of the pack for a reason lol

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:53 am

Calas need to be in the mood to turn cannibalistic I've found. The bigger they are the quicker they turn though. Arrows on the otherhand...

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:49 pm

Once trolling for tuna out of Portland, we hooked a few couta around 70cm, by the time we reeled them in they had massive, and i mean massive, arrow squid ripping chunks out of the coutas heads. They didn't let go and we gaffed them once we got them to the boat. One of the squid went just over 1m. Arrow squid are mental.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:23 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:Once trolling for tuna out of Portland, we hooked a few couta around 70cm, by the time we reeled them in they had massive, and i mean massive, arrow squid ripping chunks out of the coutas heads. They didn't let go and we gaffed them once we got them to the boat. One of the squid went just over 1m. Arrow squid are mental.
Wow that would have been crazy too see mate! :o_0:

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:27 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:Once trolling for tuna out of Portland, we hooked a few couta around 70cm, by the time we reeled them in they had massive, and i mean massive, arrow squid ripping chunks out of the coutas heads. They didn't let go and we gaffed them once we got them to the boat. One of the squid went just over 1m. Arrow squid are mental.
Yeh it was! First time i'd seen arrow squid of that size doing that. They are vicious bloody things!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:42 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Yeh it was! First time i'd seen arrow squid of that size doing that. They are vicious bloody things!
What did you end up doing with those massive arrows mate?

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:25 pm

snapper bait of course! You wouldn't do anything else with it. It would be like eating a tire! I'd love to hook a monster like that on a jig.. They would pull like a freight train

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:50 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:snapper bait of course! You wouldn't do anything else with it. It would be like eating a tire! I'd love to hook a monster like that on a jig.. They would pull like a freight train
35cm+ calamari are great fun to catch on the whiting gear.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:17 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:snapper bait of course! You wouldn't do anything else with it. It would be like eating a tire! I'd love to hook a monster like that on a jig.. They would pull like a freight train
Haha yea that would be awesome!probably strip a lot of line lol I asked because I don't like eating them. Much prefer southern calamaris but I remember someone on here rating them better than southern calas.

Return to “Squid Fishing”