squid and cuttle's

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
complete-anglerz-12

squid and cuttle's

Post by complete-anglerz-12 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:15 pm

was out with some mates drifting around ppb today and we caught about 15 squid 9 cuttle fish and got mauled on the baits by pinkies did pluck one nice frog . we put the cuttles back and one would gone close to 3 kilo's 1st time catching them what are they good for just bait or do they cook up alrite also.
Attachments
P1010158.JPG
P1010157.JPG
where is the calamari ............. don't worry they coming ........ they will come

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Re: squid and cuttle's

Post by Basti » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:19 pm

Cuttlefish are meant to taste sweeter than squid and have thicker flesh. I've caught a few but haven't had a taste as yet because they get smashed at home

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:24 pm

I like eating cuttle, cut it thin though, it's very rich...and it is ripper bait..I keep mine, fantastic for whiting and snapper..

Freakazoid

Post by Freakazoid » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:21 pm

Never tried Cuttle so I can't help you there, but you're smashing the squid lately :a_goodjob:

complete-anglerz-12

Post by complete-anglerz-12 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:58 pm

[quote="Freakazoid"]Never tried Cuttle so I can't help you there, but you're smashing the squid lately :a_goodjob:[/quote}

i just find them i also sighted a school of 8 - 10 squid at the back of the boat at one stage then squid as far as the eye could see nothing to big but then by the time we all got one each gone :wall:
where is the calamari ............. don't worry they coming ........ they will come

nhillboy

Post by nhillboy » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:10 pm

Nice catch, well done. And as a Greek I will say cuttle are very very tasty to eat. :thumbsup:

tuna tube

Post by tuna tube » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:31 pm

Not a bad day on the water and a great catch too!
Cuttlefish are very tasty. At least you know for next time. And good on you for releasing them if you didn't know if they're edible. Top stuff
Cheers
The Tube

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:37 pm

I must say I prefer squid but cuttles won't ever get turned away. Great effort mate. Seems there's plenty of squid around. A mate was out yesterday and claims it took longer to clean his bag of squid/cuttles than it took to catch them.

complete-anglerz-12

Post by complete-anglerz-12 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:48 pm

we would of tryed to bag out but we spent six hour's early trying to catch a red and ran out bait lol whole squid coming back looking like swiss cheese. i had a bit of an idea on the cuttle's they made good to ok baits but eating unsure i did get a clip on phone of one it would of gone 3 kilo going back down to the depths but at the ramp i miss judged the dethh and ended up in hip deep water not cool phone wallet soaked

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:02 am

Cuttles are yum...a bit extra work cleaning them compared to cala, but love them quick-seared over a *very* hot grill. 60 secs max. Delish.
Overcooked, they are like rubber.

Return to “Squid Fishing”