Question relating to squid jigs

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Question relating to squid jigs

Post by poodoo » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:27 pm

Rod Bender wrote:
poodoo wrote:When it is on, it doesn't matter what the squid jig foil is...............
Is the 'foil' the external color simply a backing of which is not visible? And if it is just the backing..why have it in different colors? Or perhaps I am just totally wrong! :)
cheers
Jim
The foil is underneath the cloth if u hold the jig up to the light you can see what colour it is.

BIG GAV

Post by BIG GAV » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:47 pm

kevinuy360 wrote:Ill probably get one red, one gold and all white jig... i think this would give the best chance anytime of the day based on all of your information...
Good choices! 2.5 and 3.5 sizes I like best, techniques vary.. My most effective technique is 2,3 hard rips.. Let is sink, wind up the slack once slacks gone ur line tightens (obviously) and it bends ur rod tip if within a second or two I don't get a tug I repeat the process.. (Note: be careful not to rip the jig out of the water it will fly right at you :doh1: )
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:06 pm

Seen some of Vids and some rip the sh..t out of it and looks like they over do it a touch cause they r on camera.
I use more wrist flick techniques and find a couple of medium rips flicks of the rod does the job.
Also you only really need to work the jig when it's dead flat or landbase,when I get a good drift in the boat little jigging is required.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

BIG GAV

Post by BIG GAV » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:14 pm

bowl wrote:Seen some of Vids and some rip the sh..t out of it and looks like they over do it a touch cause they r on camera.
I use more wrist flick techniques and find a couple of medium rips flicks of the rod does the job.
Also you only really need to work the jig when it's dead flat or landbase,when I get a good drift in the boat little jigging is required.
Very true, when the currents goin in the boat we drift n cast ahead of the boat by the time the jig is behind us we r sometimes already hooked up..

I too have seen some ridiculous ripping with jigs.. I wouldn't say my technique is in the wrist but it's 2,3 whacks quickly to move it and raise it I whack left and right sides as I gather it would move the jig around a little more..

In saying all this I wouldn't consider myself a great squid fisherman but my mates who showed me the ropes have quite a knack for it
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:26 pm

Yeah same I'm still learning.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

aussie_fisho

Post by aussie_fisho » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:51 pm

bowl wrote:Mojiko are best tight arse jig I have found, they don't fall apart easy, interesting range of colours.
3$,
Black magic r ok in packs if you get them on sale.
But they tend fall apart to easy for what ya pay.

I have tryed rogue n other cheap brands from.Bcf n rays n they r terrible.

Definently by some of the better brands, but wait till there r on sale.
Bowl any chance u can put a link up for these mojiko squid jigs I can't find anything in them.!
Here fishy fishy.......

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:26 am

Rod Bender wrote:
poodoo wrote:When it is on, it doesn't matter what the squid jig foil is...............
Is the 'foil' the external color simply a backing of which is not visible? And if it is just the backing..why have it in different colors? Or perhaps I am just totally wrong! :)
cheers
Jim
Jigs have two colours, the external cloth and the backing or foil. The external is the most readily visible but if you pick up a jig and look at it in direct light, you'll see the foil flash/reflect light back at you. From personal experience, the foil colour is the more important. it's the cloth that gives jigs uv properties though.

If you are on facebook, have a look at rui tang's new whiting colour jigs. the cloth is the same, but he's had em made in red, silver and gold foils

https://www.facebook.com/rui.tang.73/po ... 7409699697" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:47 am

Basti wrote:
Rod Bender wrote:
cheers
Jim
Jigs have two colours, the external cloth and the backing or foil. The external is the most readily visible but if you pick up a jig and look at it in direct light, you'll see the foil flash/reflect light back at you. From personal experience, the foil colour is the more important. it's the cloth that gives jigs uv properties though.

If you are on facebook, have a look at rui tang's new whiting colour jigs. the cloth is the same, but he's had em made in red, silver and gold foils

https://www.facebook.com/rui.tang.73/po ... 7409699697" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On Rui's jigs. I bought one and grabbed it out of the tackle box to tie it on. I had a few shimano sephia's in there. Its a complete copy of the sephia jigs. The only difference is the sinker shape.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:45 am

BIG GAV wrote:
bowl wrote:Seen some of Vids and some rip the sh..t out of it and looks like they over do it a touch cause they r on camera.
Very true, when the currents goin in the boat we drift n cast ahead of the boat by the time the jig is behind us we r sometimes already hooked up..

I too have seen some ridiculous ripping with jigs.. I wouldn't say my technique is in the wrist but it's 2,3 whacks quickly to move it and raise it I whack left and right sides as I gather it would move the jig around a little more..

In saying all this I wouldn't consider myself a great squid fisherman but my mates who showed me the ropes have quite a knack for it
Sometimes big rips is the way to go, need to mix it up and see what works on the day.

fitzy90

Post by fitzy90 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:35 am

I could go on for hours on this topic, ill try to keep it short and sweet

Fave jigs:

1) Harimitsu - VE-22EDY ORANGE/GLOW
By far my favourite jig, i have had to replace this one 3 times in the last 2 years, not due to defect but due to squid damage! good for all times and conditions

2) Gan Craft Egijya 3.5 #AUS-19 White Fluffie - silver foil / white cloth
Would be a very close second, best for mid mornings or bright sunlight conditions

3) Sephia Egixile, Clear body white cloth
Very popular jig, cant fault it, good value

4) Harimitsu - VE-22RR RED/RED
Best deep water / low light conditions, this is the main jig i use in water between 7 - 13 meters

In my opinion i would rather pay for quality and have these 4 jigs in my bag compared to having 20 cheap jigs which all do essentially the same thing. I have tried using the black magic / el cheapo brands and to be honest they don't perform half as well, the cloth rips easily and also tends to come off, i have not had these problems with the top end jigs.
While its true that when the squid are on they will take anything in front of them, when they are not these jigs will definitely improve your catch rate.
Size wise depends on the depth, however i usually use size 3.5 / 4 based on the fact that you can catch small squid on a 4.0 and BIG squid love big jigs.

Return to “Squid Fishing”