Rovex Squid Wrangler review

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

Re: Rovex Squid Wrangler review

Post by Trumpeter » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:01 am

yepi'mon wrote:
Trumpeter wrote:Hi All
Wanting to try out a light weight, graphite, Egi style rod on a budget I purchased a Rovex Squid Wrangler and tested it out for the first time on the w/end. As It will be used predominately from a boat I chose the shortest model with a length of 7'6" and teamed it up with a Daiwa Exceler 2500 loaded with 15lb Power Pro braid. Casting a 3.5 Sephia into a 10-15kt easterly headwind on the St. Leonards boat ramp jetty I managed to punch it out around 40-50 m and was pretty happy with that, the split rear grip is quite long and I could get quite a bit of leverage. Turning around and flicking the jig single handed with the breeze easily managed the same distanced and I reckon with two hands I could have just about launched the Sephia up onto the beach. Surprisingly I hooked a small Calamari in amongst all the boat traffic coming coming in for the day and the rod felt very good, transmitting all the squids little lunges, I can't wait to try it out on some larger models. For the price I think the finish of the rod is very nice and includes a Fuji reel seat and a keeper hook for your jig but strangely the oval shaped stripper guide is facing the opposite way to the next guide up, looks like someone tied it on backwards by mistake! I don't know the exact reason why they make them like this but it may prevent line leaving the spool from brushing against the guide frame during casting? The Squid Wrangler seems like it will also make a nice rod for plastics and I imagine a lot of fun casting small metal lures for Salmon or Tailor so for me a pretty good value and versatile rod.
Specs
Length: 7'6' / 2.30m
Pieces: 2/P
Rating: 1.5 - 4.0
Blank: High-modulus graphite
Guides: SIC OVAL
Seat: Fuji
Price: $52.50
:cheers:
How did this rod end up fairing for you mate? They are on sale at BCF for $50 at the moment.
Unfortunately the tip had snapped off the second time I went to use it, I don't even know how it happened, must be pretty fragile up top. Now using my even cheaper and nastier Ink-Vader, it's a stronger rod IMO.

NikoCrocop

Post by NikoCrocop » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:38 pm

Hi I just got this rod with a 1000 Sedona Shimano Reel.
It’s and amzing rod
However I got a 7’6 size
Spewing I wanted a 8’6 size none left?
Is there any much difference ??
I feel liked I made a mistake?
Cous i wanna cast further !!
Am I losing much casting distance ?? ???

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:39 pm

NikoCrocop wrote: Is there any much difference ??
About a foot
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

NikoCrocop

Post by NikoCrocop » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:56 pm

I’m taking for casting distance ?

Return to “Squid Fishing”