Squid Cleaning Tool

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
denis barden

Re: Squid Cleaning Tool

Post by denis barden » Mon May 27, 2019 11:16 pm

The size of the squid I was getting-Putting them into a scaling bag never cleaned them correctly
So i just clean them at home

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Tue May 28, 2019 11:07 am

I am a chef and can clean a squid pretty fast, but even i use a scaler bag behind the boat.

I pull the head off and keep the tentacles for bait as needed, cut a small section off the end of the tube to allow water to flow through and place them into a cheap green scaler bag, then i put that into my good scaler bag and tow it behind the boat for a few minutes on the way back in. Double bagging means that i never lose any smaller squid and cutting the end of the tube ensures a nice clean tube ready to be cut however you like it.

I have seen videos where they just throw the whole thing in the bag and that seems to work too, but i would be worried about losing any small heads you might have.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue May 28, 2019 2:27 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 11:07 am
I am a chef and can clean a squid pretty fast, but even i use a scaler bag behind the boat.

I pull the head off and keep the tentacles for bait as needed, cut a small section off the end of the tube to allow water to flow through and place them into a cheap green scaler bag, then i put that into my good scaler bag and tow it behind the boat for a few minutes on the way back in. Double bagging means that i never lose any smaller squid and cutting the end of the tube ensures a nice clean tube ready to be cut however you like it.

I have seen videos where they just throw the whole thing in the bag and that seems to work too, but i would be worried about losing any small heads you might have.
Steve, I do exactly as you do :thumbsup:

So, I must be like , , , , BilleoTheBug :-D

What I do with the heads though, is instead of pulling it out, I cut it off just below the "head", taking the head and tentacles as bait. What I also do, depending on what I plan on doing with the "head/tentacle" part, is I cut the testicles off, just above the head, they stay intact and these I use as bait or cook up. The Ex and I love these crispy , , , , mmmmm. We even eat the flaps, I just trim the cartridge bit off :thumbsup:

Not sure about fish, but by using the scaling bag AND then hanging the cleaned squid up in the scaling bag, to drain out most of the water. Then I put them in freezer bags, rolled up tight like logs. The point of only salt water having been used to clean the squid, seems to keep them better in the freezer. Not sure if this works the same with freezing fish , , , , because unlike you, the lack of my cooking ability is what overpowers the flavour :(

I find that the head part when frozen with the guts part seems to taint the bait. It has an off smell when frozen together and doesn't keep it's translucent look. I've had better results with squid head baits when the guts aren't frozen with it. Plus, makes baiting up that little bit less messier.

Cheers, BilleoTheBug

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Tue May 28, 2019 6:03 pm

Bugatti, you wrote “testicles” and “flaps” in the same paragraph...

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Tue May 28, 2019 6:39 pm

I hope everybody is aware that
Octopusses have no tenticals only 8 arms
Squid and Cuttlefish have 2 Tenticles each and 8 arms each

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue May 28, 2019 7:41 pm

Tim399 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 6:03 pm
Bugatti, you wrote “testicles” and “flaps” in the same paragraph...
Now Tim, there must be something Freudian about my slip :-D

On the "flaps" , , , , that is a kick back from my early teenage years (which unfortunately still comes out sometimes - just shows, say something often enough, it sticks), when us lads, the "Bicycle Brigade" would Huckleberry Fin our fishing adventures (out on the bikes in the morning loaded with our fishing gear and back at dinner time), would call the wings flaps , , , , adolescent exuberant mischief.

The "testicles" slip , , , , well, me no spelling very goodly much , , , , and must of clicked the top option in the correction list, due to my poor eye sight. OR, the computer has my internet search history archived and gave the most likely option first :-D

Now, all of the above , , , , would almost verify by way of my poor eyesight , , , , that it is true , , , , it does make you blind :o_0:

Cheers Buagtti

ps. I was going to edit and correct the mistakes , , , , but thought, leave it there for posterity , , , , to show how much of a sexual deviant I must be :-D

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Tue May 28, 2019 8:40 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 7:41 pm

Now, all of the above , , , , would almost verify by way of my poor eyesight , , , , that it is true , , , , it does make you blind
:rofl:

Return to “Squid Fishing”