PPB Calamari Spots/Times?

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
ChrisAbout

PPB Calamari Spots/Times?

Post by ChrisAbout » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:19 am

The only time I ever catch calamari in PPB is when I fish the Sorrento/Portsea patch. I have tried at Beaumaris, Mordialloc and Frankston with no success.

Where do you catch calamari consistently in PPB and what are the best times (if any)?

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: PPB Calamari Spots/Times?

Post by 4liters » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:54 am

Best time for me is in the morning but I'm generally able to catch them throughout the day, they're just not as thick. I've caught them at Frankston/Davy Bay, Mt Martha, Safety Beach, Sorrento, Portsea and Point Lonsdale so they're definitely around. I think wherever there is weed/reef you're a good chance at catching them.

I've found gold jigs work well when the sun is up, but that may well be a self fulfilling prophesy because now the gold jigs are the first ones I go for in those conditions.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Fahro

Post by Fahro » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:40 am

Werribee/Point Cook RAAF area, Avalon Point Wilson Side, Clifton springs, all very productive spots

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:13 am

I've caught them from Olivers hill up to Morngington at pretty much any time of the day. Usually white jigs have worked best. I've found that usually there is one patch within the weed patch that will consistently fire over each drift.... So you need to cover a bit of ground to find where they are.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:54 pm

I have caught them from queenscliff to point cook, in high current areas I find the turn of the tide the best otherwise the boat drifts to fast. Other areas mostly they will take the jigs all day. My favorite area is from queenscliff to indented head.as for colour I start with a kgw colour then a prawn colour then white after that I go through the box.

tasksta

Post by tasksta » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:44 pm

Hey mate

I started from scratch having never fished the area and just stuck to the text book of finding 'broken weedy sandy patches' and google maps helps a lot in this respect. I launch from Morny and can honestly say i have pulled Calamari from every cliff face from here to Safety beach. I have learned that in close around 2m fishes best at high tide and deeper 5-7m is best at low tide. Dont be afraid to get in close as i regularly get some honkers in under 1m just have faith in your sounder and dont run a ground!

Good luck and have fun finding your favourite spots - PM me if you get stuck.

Cheers
Paul

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:01 pm

I've caught them from brighton through to beaumaris, Frankston through to safety beach and the area you've had success in.
As said above look for weed beds/reefs and there is usually squid. Don't really have any marks for where I go as I don't regularly launch at one location but I like drifting 2-4m of water because weed beds can still be seen, not the greatest with the sounder at this stage.

Cheers Alex

PS I've sent you a pm
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Gummysmasher

Post by Gummysmasher » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:47 pm

hi guys, going out on sunday in port phillip for some eating size squid. I usually fish westernport but wanted to change it up so thought id give port phillip a go in our new bar crusher! I know what I'm looking for as in the sandy and weedy bottoms but if anyone could head my in the right direction and what times that would be awesome. (any gps marks are welcome as well in exchange for westernport marks) :-D

cahoona
Has liked: 15 times

Post by cahoona » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:05 am

Sandringham to mordy i can get my bag of squid most times same with frankston to mornington

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:56 am

Gummysmasher wrote:hi guys, going out on sunday in port phillip for some eating size squid. I usually fish westernport but wanted to change it up so thought id give port phillip a go in our new bar crusher! I know what I'm looking for as in the sandy and weedy bottoms but if anyone could head my in the right direction and what times that would be awesome. (any gps marks are welcome as well in exchange for westernport marks) :-D
where are you launching from?

If Carrum head north to Ricketts point or south to Olivers hill. I havent tried to get squid over the artifical reefs, but there is no reason that they won't be there.

If Mornington, go south along the cliff faces, fossil beach is not a bad spot. or head north, sunny side or just around moorings.

If Rye, just in front of the boat ramp. drift until you find them.

I find the colour jig that works sometimes depends on if is sunny or overcast. We drifted over one spot when it was overcast and not a squid, the sun comes out and we caught a few.

The thing to remember is that squid move around a fair bit, and can be found in patches as well as singularly.

Return to “Squid Fishing”