Flinders pier

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
nmgar

Flinders pier

Post by nmgar » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:29 pm

I went down to Flinders this morning to try out the new rod and came up empty handed. I was there for the high tide at dawn and nobody was having any luck; one guy I spoke to had fished the night before as well with no success.

A couple of guys went for a dive while I was there; I asked if they had seen any squid and they hadn't seen any. Lots of fish at the end of the pier being monstered by a large ray but zero squid.

On the way home I called in to Stony Point and Hastings piers and they were equally barren according to the fishers there.

I realise that we are a few months shy of prime time for the area but no squid at all surprises me, particularly when I'm hearing decent reports from Tyabb bank.

This is the first year that I will be chasing winter squid; am I wasting my time and should wait until August or should I persist?

Do they stay in deeper water until breeding season?
Cheers,
Neil

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Re: Flinders pier

Post by dazz999 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:20 pm

how good was the rod ? there nice to use your not wasting your time this time about this time last year i caught my pb squid over 40cm hood

nmgar

Re: Flinders pier

Post by nmgar » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:06 pm

The rod was good to cast with but I won't really be able to judge until I manage to hook one.

I'd always thought that winter/spring was the best time, but they just seem to be missing around the western piers at the moment.
Cheers,
Neil

Return to “Squid Fishing”