Rods, Reels and General Rigs for Squid

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Rods, Reels and General Rigs for Squid

Post by CarlG » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:49 am

Depends.
On the boat, I use s shimano squirt stick I picked up on sale. Supposed to be an egi rod, but it's not. Given that I use it as s general bait collector cum whiting rod, I' ve no issue with it. Paired with an aernos I got on sale at Southern Sports fishing.
Landbased, Rui squid rod. Completely different beast, great rod, can really rip jigs through the water with it, paired with a strad 2500, 20lb tasline, 20lb flouro, egi snap to the jig.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:59 am

CarlG wrote: Rui squid rod.
you mean the ~~~Squidimall 'Explosive Limit' Pro Stage II~~~

hopefully the next release has a more grandiose name because i'm not sure the above really captures the essence of this rod
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

CarlG

Post by CarlG » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:12 am

4liters wrote:
CarlG wrote: Rui squid rod.
you mean the ~~~Squidimall 'Explosive Limit' Pro Stage II~~~

hopefully the next release has a more grandiose name because i'm not sure the above really captures the essence of this rod
That's the chappie...lol

AE092
Has liked: 5 times

Post by AE092 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:56 pm

HyperX wrote:i do land based and use
daiwa emeraldas mx 86ml
daiwa emeraldas MX 2508PE
8lb braid
and I am a believer of yamashita jigs

but honestly, all you really need is a 7ft rod with a 2500 reel
I share the same thoughts and have a similar set up (Daiwa Emeraldas Interline 8'6 rod with a Daiwa 1003 Exist.
8lb Nanofil with 10lb leader. Works fine for landbased but any soft tip whiting rod will get you some squid.
Aim for Dusk/Dawn and any jig between 2.5-3.5 with a red or gold foil will see you some.

mingle

Post by mingle » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:02 am

I'll be the dissenter here, WTF not?

From the beach I use a 12ft surf rod with 20lb mono, float and size 3.5 jig (light colour when dull conditions, darker when bright - actual colour never seems to make any difference)

From the kayak I simply use whichever rods I have out - one is typically a 6ft 8-10kg "snapper" rod with 6000 reel and 20lb braid, and a 'whiting' rod with 4000 size reel and 14lb braid. Same size/shade jigs as from the beach. I used the same rods for bottom fishing and trolling lures around and simply attach the terminal tackle via a snap swivel. Working the lures is no problem, since I've never found squid to be fussy, or finicky.

The stronger lines is a benefit, as when I snag the bottom, it's an easy job to pull the jig free with out snapping off. Never had any issues with the 'feel' of the rods or them being too 'stiff', in fact with the horse calamari that I usually come up against the 8-10kg rod is my preferred 'weapon'. :-)

Squid rods (and I wouldn't be surprised if they even have squid specific reels and line!) are unnecessary and another scam from the tackle companies, trying to sell the gullible fishos another item that will 'improve their catch'. :rofl:

Mike.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:12 pm

I use a majorcraft skyroad 832 e both landbased and off the yak. Might not work to well on a boat but I have no issue with the extra length on the yak.

Mingle I'm aware you don't like to spend money on decent gear but the difference between an egi rod and a light graphite rod is chalk and cheese, never mind a fibreglass snapper rod. I'd suggest you actually use something prior to bagging it.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Hammy Y

Post by Hammy Y » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:26 pm

mazman wrote:I use a majorcraft skyroad 832 e both landbased and off the yak. Might not work to well on a boat but I have no issue with the extra length on the yak.

Mingle I'm aware you don't like to spend money on decent gear but the difference between an egi rod and a light graphite rod is chalk and cheese, never mind a fibreglass snapper rod. I'd suggest you actually use something prior to bagging it.
Im heading down to some of my local fisho shops today and thought id grab a 7"-7"6 light tip rod with a 2500-4000 reel spooled with 15lb braid as my first squid rod.
Thoughts all?

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:50 pm

mingle wrote:I'll be the dissenter here, WTF not?

From the beach I use a 12ft surf rod with 20lb mono, float and size 3.5 jig (light colour when dull conditions, darker when bright - actual colour never seems to make any difference)

From the kayak I simply use whichever rods I have out - one is typically a 6ft 8-10kg "snapper" rod with 6000 reel and 20lb braid, and a 'whiting' rod with 4000 size reel and 14lb braid. Same size/shade jigs as from the beach. I used the same rods for bottom fishing and trolling lures around and simply attach the terminal tackle via a snap swivel. Working the lures is no problem, since I've never found squid to be fussy, or finicky.

The stronger lines is a benefit, as when I snag the bottom, it's an easy job to pull the jig free with out snapping off. Never had any issues with the 'feel' of the rods or them being too 'stiff', in fact with the horse calamari that I usually come up against the 8-10kg rod is my preferred 'weapon'. :-)

Squid rods (and I wouldn't be surprised if they even have squid specific reels and line!) are unnecessary and another scam from the tackle companies, trying to sell the gullible fishos another item that will 'improve their catch'. :rofl:

Mike.
BINGO

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:55 pm

In the boat, for the rods with baited jags or jigs hanging over the side, it really doesnt matter what you use. For the rod you are throwing a jig around with, thats another story. A good rod and reel, with good braid is a god send. I use a 2500 stradic ci4+ and a sephia AU, with decent 8lb braid. The rod is apparently just a plastics rod with low rider guides, but I have caught that many fish on it im not complaining. TBH I think the main thing I would worry about is a good fast action rod with braid for any rod you want to jig with.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:26 pm

yep you can catch squid on any rod but they all have a different feel/action the rovex ones are alright but it is what it is move up to majorcaft rods nice can feel everything move up again and the Emeraldas are awesome cast a mile feel everything with braid i use 10lb braid and 10lb leader you do lose some jigs fishing on the bottom but i think lighter line better casting more hits

Return to “Squid Fishing”