BRAID RECOMMENDATIONS

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Re: BRAID RECOMMENDATIONS

Post by canned_tuna » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:30 pm

I have berkeley fireline exceed on 10 reels from squid to whiting,surf spinning and soft plastics...good enough for the requirements and also cheap enough

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:54 pm

I think i can safely say that from seeing what the guy has already used (Frog and Morethan) stuff like sunline super pe, finns, J braid etc are the last thing he would be interested in.
if you having trouble sourcing those braids locally try One of the japanese online shops like digitaka or Plat
if you can find it dragoncall is also a good braid

Hammy Y

Post by Hammy Y » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:04 pm

I use Timberwolf 15lb braid on my squid outfit, some might say its overkill but I like it for ripping jigs out of the weeds, if im paying $20-25 for jigs I dont like to lose em, especially some limited edition ones. Never used anything lighter so i wouldn't know how it does,
Cheers,
Ham

MK10

Post by MK10 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:31 pm

purple5ive wrote:I think i can safely say that from seeing what the guy has already used (Frog and Morethan) stuff like sunline super pe, finns, J braid etc are the last thing he would be interested in.
if you having trouble sourcing those braids locally try One of the japanese online shops like digitaka or Plat
Thanks Purple5ive,

I apologise up front if this sounds silly. Would you class the Shimano Ocea in the same quality range as the Frog or Morethan? I know the Ocea starts at PE 1.0 (20lb), but it seems to be very thin for that line rating ie. most PE 1.0 seem to have a 10-15lb rating.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:19 pm

MK10 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:I think i can safely say that from seeing what the guy has already used (Frog and Morethan) stuff like sunline super pe, finns, J braid etc are the last thing he would be interested in.
Thanks Purple5ive,

I apologise up front if this sounds silly. Would you class the Shimano Ocea in the same quality range as the Frog or Morethan? I know the Ocea starts at PE 1.0 (20lb), but it seems to be very thin for that line rating ie. most PE 1.0 seem to have a 10-15lb rating.
i have not used the ocea, or the morethan for that matter.
but the Morethan is also rated at 22lb for PE1.0
you will find most 12carrier braids are rated high like that, must be the 12ply or better yarn used.
only reason to go a thinner braid is to fit more line onto a shallow spool. and also gain some casting distance, but with squid neither is that important.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:13 am

If you're looking at the Ocea but want thinner, mission complete is their light version. Runs from pe 0.4 to pe1. Also is a solid colour, not the multi colour like the ocea

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:09 am

I've used the ocea on a squid outfit. It's top notch if you want to spend that kind of money. Very fine,supple and strong. Also doesn't seem to get as many wind knots as some of the other very fine braid I've used (like egifire). I usually use J braid for its price/quality but ocea is a big step up.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:14 am

MK10 wrote:
Thanks Purple5ive,

Many of the more modern braids have gotten much stronger. Dragoncall etc are behind the times. Ygk gsoul which I use on most of my reels is 22lb @ pe 1.0. I haven't used Ocea but it's expensive for the breaking strain. Tasline is also very good, uncoated so very supple. I've got some of their heavier lines and love it. Got some waiting to go on my smaller reels once they're ready for a respool. Pe 0.6 at 20lb. I've got some avani 4carrier on my squid reel atm and I'm pretty happy with it though I meant to buy the 8 carrier version and made a mistake. Casts well and @ 17lb ish for pe1 I don't have a reason to change it out.

Jbraid absorbs water like a sponge. Ok for surf/bait applications when it's on sale.

The ygk is ~2900 yen for 200m from jap stores plus shipping.

Avani
http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/prod ... _id/10538/

Tasline
http://www.bustedfishing.com/#!/Tasline ... ort=normal

Ygk
http://jpangler.com/index.php/fishing-l ... m-1-0.html

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:45 am

The YGK i have found very frustrating to use.. not sure if anyone else is having the same situation (and i know quite a few do use it)
ive got the 0.6pe version and find that everytime im getting a snag nowdays the leader is breaking at the FG knot end, only happens on this line. starting to get really annoying.
im also looking to replace this soon, as i dont want to have this happen on a good snapper during this season.
Might try the tasline for a change and see what its like.

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:13 am

I have used frog in the past & now using a few others. recently spooled up a reel with Ocea PE3, it casts a mile and quite smooth. The lighter line in shimano - KAIRIKI SX 8 is good too. have a look at rayannes or fishin websites for some deals on braid, both quick delivery. fishin have some of the other options mentioned.
quid est quod eum

Return to “Squid Fishing”