Squid Size/Numbers

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
Queasy

Squid Size/Numbers

Post by Queasy » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:59 pm

Hi,

I've been doing a little squid chasing lately in the shallow weed banks when the tide has been running too quickly for productive bottom bashing in the channels of Westernport.

I have been catching a couple of squid each time. But I haven't been catching a lot. What I have been catching have all been of a decent size, with hoods a little either side of 30cm.

I'm wondering why I am not catching more squid, and if there might be a reason why I am perhaps not catching smaller squid? Could my squid jigs be too big?

Picture of a typical squid on one of my jigs:
Squid.jpg

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Squid Size/Numbers

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:15 am

Queasy wrote:Hi,

I've been doing a little squid chasing lately in the shallow weed banks when the tide has been running too quickly for productive bottom bashing in the channels of Westernport.

I have been catching a couple of squid each time. But I haven't been catching a lot. What I have been catching have all been of a decent size, with hoods a little either side of 30cm.

I'm wondering why I am not catching more squid, and if there might be a reason why I am perhaps not catching smaller squid? Could my squid jigs be too big?

Picture of a typical squid on one of my jigs:
Squid.jpg
If you are catching squid you are doing well. Sure sometimes jig size matters, but colour is perhaps more important and it means trying different colours out to see which one is more effective.

In Western port weight of the jig is a factor, they need to be heavier to get down, so larger jigs tend to have more weight in them.

If caught a squid, then try to drift over the same spot a few times, as squid do school up.

piscateur
Has liked: 63 times

Post by piscateur » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:59 am

U can get weights for jigs to help get them down in current

Queasy

Post by Queasy » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:09 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:
In Western port weight of the jig is a factor, they need to be heavier to get down, so larger jigs tend to have more weight in them.

If caught a squid, then try to drift over the same spot a few times, as squid do school up.
piscateur wrote:U can get weights for jigs to help get them down in current
Thanks for that info. I might try geting some weights and fish a little deeper. I'm usually anchored up in around 4m of water and also getting squid taking bait and hooked whiting under the boat, as well as by casting into shallower water. Am moving positions after covering the ground around the boat. Didn't realise squid were a schooling species, good to know.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:38 am

If you are getting them grabbing bait and hooked fish under the boat then drop a squid jig starght down where they are and you should generally hookup.
in 4m of water i wouldnt use any weights, you should be right even with a good current flow.
another option is to use a baited squid jig.

Queasy

Post by Queasy » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:54 am

I think I might have brought some in with the jig, then they were going for the baits, as they were following and tentatively going for the jig and getting pricked. Sure is fun sight fishing them! Managed to catch some on regular baited hooks with the aid of the landing net too, which was a bonus. I did also use a baited squid jig under the boat but oddly enough that wasn't touched.

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:27 am

I've found the squid will only stay on for a short window when I anchor down, so I've tried drifting recently and found I get more numbers over time, but less in one burst.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:51 am

Queasy wrote:I think I might have brought some in with the jig, then they were going for the baits, as they were following and tentatively going for the jig and getting pricked. Sure is fun sight fishing them! Managed to catch some on regular baited hooks with the aid of the landing net too, which was a bonus. I did also use a baited squid jig under the boat but oddly enough that wasn't touched.
Looks like they were just after active jigs, aka needs to be moving.
also try leaving a sleeper jig in the rod holder and letting it move around with the boat movement.
as for sizes a size 3 jig is a good start. go 3.5 if the squid are bigger.

Queasy

Post by Queasy » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:10 pm

purple5ive wrote: Looks like they were just after active jigs, aka needs to be moving.
also try leaving a sleeper jig in the rod holder and letting it move around with the boat movement.
Yep, I was using 3 and 3.5. I think I was getting them on the 3.5

Is a sleeper jig just a regular (prawn style) jig that's left in the rod holder?

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:15 pm

Queasy wrote:
purple5ive wrote: Looks like they were just after active jigs, aka needs to be moving.
Yep, I was using 3 and 3.5. I think I was getting them on the 3.5

Is a sleeper jig just a regular (prawn style) jig that's left in the rod holder?
yes thats it.
good luck and let us know how you go

Return to “Squid Fishing”