Can squid smell ?

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Re: Can squid smell ?

Post by Kimtown » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:44 pm

rb85 wrote:Have listened to a prominent squid angler speak who said squid don't rely on scent but rather taste and sight hence the big eye which made sense to me.
This individual also said squid aren't attracted to lights eg Boat floodlights or lights on piers but my own personal experience makes me question that.
So in short offed if I know but would love to see if theres a study that provides a conclusion.
I've read that squid have the best eye sight out of any animal on the planet but can't actually see colour, which makes me wonder why we bother with coloured jigs? In saying that, i teel like i have read a theory that they have photoreceptors that can see colours that we can't (such as UV and infrared). Either way they are very, very complex fish that we may never fully understand.

I think @broomstick would be the perfect person to shed some light on this strange creature.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:47 pm

Kimtown wrote:
rb85 wrote:Have listened to a prominent squid angler speak who said squid don't rely on scent but rather taste and sight hence the big eye which made sense to me.
This individual also said squid aren't attracted to lights eg Boat floodlights or lights on piers but my own personal experience makes me question that.
So in short offed if I know but would love to see if theres a study that provides a conclusion.
I've read that squid have the best eye sight out of any animal on the planet but can't actually see colour, which makes me wonder why we bother with coloured jigs? In saying that, i teel like i have read a theory that they have photoreceptors that can see colours that we can't (such as UV and infrared). Either way they are very, very complex fish that we may never fully understand.

I think @broomstick would be the perfect person to shed some light on this strange creature.
Your not wrong about the complexities thankfully they are aggressive feeders and will go your jig once the right colour has been found.

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:50 pm

rb85 wrote:
Kimtown wrote:

Your not wrong about the complexities thankfully they are aggressive feeders and will go your jig once the right colour has been found.
Yeah, which I don't understand if they are colorblind...? They can obviously sense something when swappiny jigs that are almost identical in shape and design, only difference being colour.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:56 pm

Kimtown wrote:
rb85 wrote:
Kimtown wrote:

Yeah, which I don't understand if they are colorblind...? They can obviously sense something when swappiny jigs that are almost identical in shape and design, only difference being colour.
Maybe you alluded to it regarding UV. Someone with more knowledge on their biology will be able to help.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:02 pm

And yet I have been told that colour doesnt matter. It's the way you work the jig. But put the colour they want and the are literally fighting over that jig..

Or even the way the jig falls....
But then how does a sleeper jig get hit almost everytime theres one out?

And then again scent doesnt matter from.yamashita pro staff but yamashita are one of the few that make the squid scent spray.. conflict of interests at it's best

It's a weird and wonderfull world we live in..

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:52 pm

purple5ive wrote:And yet I have been told that colour doesnt matter. It's the way you work the jig. But put the colour they want and the are literally fighting over that jig..

Or even the way the jig falls....
But then how does a sleeper jig get hit almost everytime theres one out?

And then again scent doesnt matter from.yamashita pro staff but yamashita are one of the few that make the squid scent spray.. conflict of interests at it's best

It's a weird and wonderfull world we live in..
:rofl:

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:07 pm

I was a Humboldt squid in my previous life....i had no nose. No can't smell a sh1t.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:03 pm

They can but I find Burley brings in pest fish more then the squid

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:56 pm

Some interesting points on this thread.
Brett is spot on about squid hanging in the outer shadows, they aren't naturally attracted to light, but the lower end of the food chain is, and they follow.
As regards eyesight, much like dogs and many other animals, squid don't have cones in the retina, (the organs that detect colour), but they have tightly packed rods, (the organs that detect light). The consequence is that they can detect minute differences in shade and contrast, so different colour jigs will reflect light differently, hence why a change of colour will sometimes induce a strike.
Again, an enjoyable thread, nice work.

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:01 pm

This guy says yes!
images (100).jpg

Return to “Squid Fishing”