Can squid smell ?

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Can squid smell ?

Post by Mattblack » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:51 am

So before anyone answers, 'they smell awful/fishy etc', I just wanted to clarify that I'd like to know how squid can smell & is it beneficial to use burly or scented jigs when targeting them.
I've always been under the assumption they relied on their eyesight over all their other senses.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: Can squid smell ?

Post by bowl » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:53 am

Mattblack wrote:So before anyone answers, 'they smell awful/fishy etc', I just wanted to clarify that I'd like to know how squid can smell & is it beneficial to use burly or scented jigs when targeting them.
I've always been under the assumption they relied on their eyesight over all their other senses.
They seem to attracted by burly...so yup for me from my fishing experience.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:35 am

A Quote from Adam Royter.
"Squid have very advanced smell and taste receptors. They use them to locate food and to check whether the food they have selected is indeed edible. The smelling issue, as described in my December 2009 squid article, is done with the club tentacles but the tasting is done, for the most part, by the mouth. Because of your (you being the squid) lightning quick strike response on that poor red mullet, you might have picked up some weed or other foreign objects that are not desirable. So having a sense of taste will help you decipher the stuff you don’t want, while not letting go of the stuff you do want. Also, having your eyes and mouth obstructed by your 10 legs is not ideal but, hey, you’re only a squid!"

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:36 am

From other thread:

I think squid can smell... a lot better than what you may believe. But they smell through their tentacles, unlike a normal fish which smells through their mouths and filter through their gills. Whether or not the tentacles need to be touching the source of smell, or whether they can sense it through the water, I have no idea lol

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:51 am

Just did a bit of research...looks like they can :)

sturgeon
Has liked: 14 times

Post by sturgeon » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:15 am

In that case, the Yamashita expert, Eisuke, is wrong. He says that they dont use scent on their jigs because it does not work.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:23 am

They can 100% smell, i asked the same question to someone who studies them and the answer was YES.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:30 pm

Have listened to a prominent squid angler speak who said squid don't rely on scent but rather taste and sight hence the big eye which made sense to me.
This individual also said squid aren't attracted to lights eg Boat floodlights or lights on piers but my own personal experience makes me question that.
So in short offed if I know but would love to see if theres a study that provides a conclusion.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:41 pm

rb85 wrote:Have listened to a prominent squid angler speak who said squid don't rely on scent but rather taste and sight hence the big eye which made sense to me.
This individual also said squid aren't attracted to lights eg Boat floodlights or lights on piers but my own personal experience makes me question that.
So in short offed if I know but would love to see if theres a study that provides a conclusion.
Squid generally hang in the shadows of the lights. They aren't attracted to the lights themselves, but they are attracted to the bait fish etc, that ARE attracted to the lights. If that makes any sense.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:44 pm

Brett wrote:
rb85 wrote:Have listened to a prominent squid angler speak who said squid don't rely on scent but rather taste and sight hence the big eye which made sense to me.
Squid generally hang in the shadows of the lights. They aren't attracted to the lights themselves, but they are attracted to the bait fish etc, that ARE attracted to the lights. If that makes any sense.
Yeah that does I have seen squid in numbers though directly under my boats spot lights where this particular individual said they will hang in the shadows what he stated contradicted my experience but no big drama.

Return to “Squid Fishing”