60 ft deep

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

60 ft deep

Post by crumpet_avenger » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:46 pm

Ive been putting baits down for gummies about 60 ft the last few weeks which keep getting harassed by arrow squid, calamari and cuttlefish.
I get 1 out of 5 with a net at the back of them but the others let go and swim away.
I've tried dropping a squid prong on a paternoster but no go. I've tried an imitation jig to throw at them when they let go of my jig bait. No go.

Any suggestions on how to maybe hook 3 or 4 out of 5 instead of 1?
Going tomorrow. Same area.

Any tips be welcome

4liters

Re: 60 ft deep

Post by 4liters » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:09 pm

I got a bunch in 45m by putting a sinker on the egi snap as well as a jig and dropping it to the bottom. I noticed the drag had to be up a fair bit more than for calamari or they just dropped off, I think because they're a lot tougher bodied and the barbs don't bite in far enough with a light drag.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

crumpet_avenger

Post by crumpet_avenger » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:52 pm

4liters wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:09 pm
I got a bunch in 45m by putting a sinker on the egi snap as well as a jig and dropping it to the bottom. I noticed the drag had to be up a fair bit more than for calamari or they just dropped off, I think because they're a lot tougher bodied and the barbs don't bite in far enough with a light drag.
Thanks mate. I'm have a go tomorrow.
How good are cuttlefish on the chew. I love em.
Been getting 2 or 3 a trip for the last 4 weeks

Gummies with cuttles/calamari isn't a bad feed anyday

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:05 pm

Spot on, Cuttlies are tasty as, can be cooked like squid or like Occy , , , , Mmmmmmm

We used to (not for a while, life sometimes gets in the way of fishing) but we used to catch heaps of Cuttlefish at low tide fishing landbased on rocky shores, outcrops, ledges etc. We'd stand on a rock, ledge, outcrop and just drop an unweighted fish (mostly Australian Herring (Tommie)) and drop it into the water just under - alongside a rock/ledge (close to our feet amazingly) and a Cuttlefish would come out of it's underneath hiding spot and grab the unweighted fish , , , , then we'd swap it (as we pulled it up and the Cuttlie would let go) with a bait on a squid prong (not a normal squid jig, they didn't go for sqid jigs for some reason). They would only go for an unweighted fish first (probably because it looked natural) but once excited and after letting go of the unweighted fish the Cuttlie would only go for another fish, be it even on a prong BUT not a pronged fish bait first, it had to be enticed first with an unweighted fish bait.

Dad made these gizmos, using trebles. They worked well. It is like a pronged setup without the prong , , , , or better said as , , , , not with the weight of the prong. So, it had hooking ability but not the weight of a prong setup. He snelled two trebles on some nice leader and passed the leader through the bait fish with a homemade large needle like thing BUT with a slit in the eye of the needle thing, so the leader loop could slide in and when this needle like prong was pushed through the fish, through the tail first, the leader would be pushed through too, then slide the needle thing back out and hence the leader stayed through the fish. A bit like bridle needles to bridle fish through the eyes. This setup worked well first up as the bait was effectively unweighted and hooked up first without the need to change up.

The trebles had to be at the tail end of the fish.

You needed to still "Jag" the Cuttlefish to embed the trebles BUT it did work well as the Cuttlefish would wrap themselves around the middle of the bait fish and hence "jagging" the bait would slide the fish up through the cuttlefish's grasp and jag the testicles/head with the trebles.

PLUS, it would still catch a Gummie as well, for your situation, so a win win

Aus Herring for Cuttlie.PNG

I'd give that a go on a single paternoster but not with a long sinker drop, as the Cuttlies are on the bottom, probably hiding in wait for a feed.

Let us know how you go, interested to hear how you go

Cheers, Bugatti

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:09 pm

Switch bait them. Have a Whiting on a prong, have a pilly on a prong and an egi jig ready to go on handlines and/or rods. When one comes up with your gummy bait drop a jig or bait straight in to drift to the squid. Works most times

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:44 pm

What cobby said.
Switch bait for them. Try a few different jigs. They will take one eventually. Let them get a good hold of it and then strike. Sometimes they hold it on the side so the barbs dont hook them. Let it sink further down and they will try to put it in their mouth and eventually will gety hooked.

crumpet_avenger

Post by crumpet_avenger » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:09 pm

Squid didn't come to play today.
8 leatheries over 50cm and some sweep and pike. Gurnad trevally and 2 a gew whiting to top the trip off. heaps of wrasse thrown back

Different trip today with the north wind we went out the front of flinders and reef fished. was good fun

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:22 pm

Those are some big LJs! Nice catch :thumbsup:

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:25 pm

crumpet_avenger wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:09 pm
Squid didn't come to play today.
8 leatheries over 50cm and some sweep and pike. Gurnad trevally and 2 a gew whiting to top the trip off. heaps of wrasse thrown back

Different trip today with the north wind we went out the front of flinders and reef fished. was good fun
Great report if you want offshore Gummies anchor in the edge of the reef or look for cray pots #saltguide

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:58 pm

Another thing you can do for deep water squid that’s harassing baits. Get another rod. Paternoster tig with 30lb or so leader. 6oz sinker on the bottom. Jig about a metre up. Drop it to the bottom near your bait. The squid hook themselves. This donged a couple of units that murdiddlyerdered my livies when kingy trolling.

Return to “Squid Fishing”