Squid tumbler

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Re: Squid tumbler

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:07 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:17 am
Been meaning to buy one of these forever. I'm very fussy with squid and spend hours cleaning all the membrane off
If you catch a lot of squid then it should be your next purchase, they are brilliant!
Last edited by SteveoTheTiger on Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:10 pm

Good to hear some more positive feedback about the product.
I hate cleaning squid so I think I need to get one :)

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:41 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:07 pm
Kimtown wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:17 am
Been meaning to buy one of these forever. I'm very fussy with squid and spend hours cleaning all the membrane off
If you catch a lot of squid then it should be your next purchase, they are brilliant!
I wouldn't say a lot but even half a dozen I dread cleaning.

Definitely gotta get one for sure

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:55 pm

I,ve cleaned a lot of squid. Never keep tubes and always slit up the side and open up to a flat surface to clean.
Yesterday I watched two blokes do exactly that and then proceed with another step I,ve never thought of.
The extra step was rubbing squid vigourously with wet sand,both sides to remove the slime and membrane,then easily picking off the dags that were left.
A simple rinse in salt water and job done for a sparkling clean lump of squid, never seen it done before and very impressed.
Am I behind the trend as they say and do others on the Forum already use this method?
Blue
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:35 pm

Blue wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:55 pm
I,ve cleaned a lot of squid. Never keep tubes and always slit up the side and open up to a flat surface to clean.
Yesterday I watched two blokes do exactly that and then proceed with another step I,ve never thought of.
The extra step was rubbing squid vigourously with wet sand,both sides to remove the slime and membrane,then easily picking off the dags that were left.
A simple rinse in salt water and job done for a sparkling clean lump of squid, never seen it done before and very impressed.
Am I behind the trend as they say and do others on the Forum already use this method?
Blue

Reading to Bugatti.PNG

Once upon a time, in a land far far away, while on holidays at Black Point , , , , Bungling Bugatti tried, for the first time to use a scaling bag , , , , with a Boat quota of squid (here in SA that's 45 , , , , 3 people x 15 squid each). All that happened to Silly Bugatti's squid was the skin/membrane just got tattered. He was cursing all night long while cleaning them by hand, which was made harder because the skin/membranes were tattered. Poor Silly Bugatti.

Next morning, God must of laughed enough and while Bugatti was sitting on the deck, enjoying the sea views with a coffee, he noticed a boat pulling what seemed to be a scaling bag full of something, faster than what Bugatti was going the day before with his ill-judged attempt.

Well, Bugatti and his Scaling Bag lived happily ever after, once Bugatti realised the trick was a good speed to allow the Scaling Bag to "washing machine" in the wake.

Now.

Blue, prior to that, I heard about wet sand (and used it often to clean sooty pots etc) but never squid. I tried it once, and got the grittiest crumbed squid I have ever eaten , , , , if there is a trick, it missed me.

Not sure if:

* I didn't scrub all the slimy membrane off and sand was stuck to that , , , , or
* I didn't rinse/wash it enough

Anyone who has eaten and wasted food with grit in it, would understand why I didn't try it again.

I would also be interested to know if anyone has got this method to work

Move over Trivago Chick , , , , Hellooooo Mommy :-D
Cheers, Bugz

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:06 am

I couldn't find thread so this seems like most logical thread to post this question being squid related

The other day someone posted something about crumbs they put on squid? What were they called again? And would they be ok on schnitzels?

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:47 am

Kimtown wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:06 am
I couldn't find thread so this seems like most logical thread to post this question being squid related

The other day someone posted something about crumbs they put on squid? What were they called again? And would they be ok on schnitzels?

G'day KimCity

Is this the thread you are talking about

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=22789

Here is my post on that thread. That Tandaco stuff (and all in its range) can be used the same. And yes, it can be used to make Schnitzels. If you follow the Burger part in the post I did in it (see below) you can make any type of Schnitzels. One point though, unlike normal bread crumbed Schnitzels where you can make them and store them in the fridge for frying up later. By using the Tandaco stuff, you have to fry them up soon because if you don't the coating becomes more damp and claggy sticky. If this does happen, after some time, you can roll them in more Tandaco to re-coat them and dry them up for handling

Bugatti wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:10 pm
rb85 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:24 pm
Anyone else use it on calamari?
Salt & Pepper.PNG

Good sh it

Oh my God mate , , , , killa

I have not tried that one rb BUT, that Tandaco stuff is awesomeness to the max , , , , maaaaan

We (my two Sisters & I) get the Tandaco Southern Fried Chicken coating in the 3 kg bucket and share the cost and the 3 kgs.

Tandaco Southern Fried Chicken.PNG
Tandaco Southern Fried Chicken.PNG (164.48 KiB) Viewed 2217 times

It's great on Chicken wings. I separate the wingette and the drumette to make those delectable tasty , , , , WingDings as we call them.

First, I simmer the wingettes/drumettes in a Chicken Seasoning first, to par cook them and to partially flavour them.

Then, roll them in the Tandaco Southern Fried Chicken coating. The Chicken Wings or anything else you want to coat must be wet, a quick dip in water does it, Tandaco must have a "flour" content which sticks the coating to the wings (or anything)

Then deep fry , , , , mmmmmm

ALSO a great Chicken Burger , , , , as close as you can get to KFC is , , , , use Chicken Thigh Fillets, flatten them out, dip in water, then in the Southern Fried Chicken coating , , , , then pan fry like a shnitzel , , , , make into a burger as per your burger preference , , , , mmmmm , , , , JUST like KFC , , , , did I say , , , , mmmmmm , , , , oh, yeah, I did , , , , mmmmm

I haven't tried the "Salt & Pepper" one , , , , but I shall , , , ,

, , , , now to catch some Squid :-D

Cheers, Bug

Cheers, Bug

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:31 pm

Cheers bug.

Gonna make some parmas tonight I'll give this a go.

On chicken do you go flower > egg > tandaco or just dip the fillets straight in the tandaco?

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:41 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:31 pm
Cheers bug.

On chicken do you go flower > egg > tandaco or just dip the fillets straight in the tandaco?
Cheers

All easy as, easiest way to make Schnitzels , , , , no need for flour or egg (The Tandaco must have a flour content in it already which does it all) , , , , just dip straight into the Tandaco. Helps if whatever you are coating is wet first, but not dripping wet.

Sounds like dinner should be at your place tonight :-D

Hope they come out a treat for you

Cheers, Bug

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:29 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:41 pm
Kimtown wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:31 pm
Cheers bug.

Cheers

All easy as, easiest way to make Schnitzels , , , , no need for flour or egg (The Tandaco must have a flour content in it already which does it all) , , , , just dip straight into the Tandaco. Helps if whatever you are coating is wet first, but not dripping wet.

Sounds like dinner should be at your place tonight :-D

Hope they come out a treat for you

Cheers, Bug
Salt and pepper or southern fried chicken for snitz?

Return to “Squid Fishing”