Daiwa freams z

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Daiwa freams z

Post by bowl » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:35 pm

They any good ? Deciding between freams for 140.
Exceller dx for 7o
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Sinsemilla

Re: Daiwa freams z

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:47 pm

Bowl, I just bought a Daiwa Exceler LT 5000DC for $130 off ebay (ottos tackle world) and it feels like a great reel. It's going to be my surf casting reel.

The new "LT" series reels are very light and compact for their size. The 5000 i bought feels more like a older model 3000 size daiwa reel.

What size reel are you looking at?

Cheers, Anth

bowl

Post by bowl » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:49 pm

2500 /1000 exceller x2 , squid whiting..
Prob get 3000 freams if i go that way.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:01 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:47 pm
Bowl, I just bought a Daiwa Exceler LT 5000DC for $130 off ebay (ottos tackle world) and it feels like a great reel. It's going to be my surf casting reel.

The new "LT" series reels are very light and compact for their size. The 5000 i bought feels more like a older model 3000 size daiwa reel.

Cheers, Anth
LT sizing on daiwa has changed to suit other brands now hence why it looks different in size.
They hold a lot of line and have some stupid amount of drag pressure too. Can be a good and bad thing depending on how you look at it..

Brenton. The 3000 is quite a big reel in that older model daiwa . More like shimano 4k so pick accordingly.

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:04 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:01 pm
.................................................................................................
LT sizing on daiwa has changed to suit other brands now hence why it looks different in size.
They hold a lot of line and have some stupid amount of drag pressure too. Can be a good and bad thing depending on how you look at it..

....................................................................................
What are the positives/negatives about the amount of drag pressure?
cheers
Team Bender
Asks the hard questions!!!!

bowl

Post by bowl » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:27 pm

Got 2 x exceller

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:37 pm

April Fool wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:04 pm
purple5ive wrote:
.................................................................................................

....................................................................................
cheers
Team Bender
Whiting and squid pull like freight trains.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:09 pm

April Fool wrote:
purple5ive wrote:

cheers
Team Bender
it is not about drag pressure itself in these models!
certain people have pushed the reel beyond its safe working load and the reel stem has flexed.
also that amount of line of a small spool like that with a compact body is just not needed imo. gone are the days when you can fit 150m of line with some backing. these reels take up almost 300m which is a waste tbh..

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:25 am

purple5ive wrote:
Sinsemilla wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:47 pm

Cheers, Anth

Brenton. The 3000 is quite a big reel in that older model daiwa . More like shimano 4k so pick accordingly.
That's the reason why I bought it. The drag is heavy if you need to crank it down but still very smooth especially after upgrading the drag washers. It's light enough to cast all day and holds 300m of 25lb. Perfect for spinning off the beach.

Do you own a LT reel?

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:31 am

April Fool wrote:
cheers
Team Bender
I don't think there are any negatives. The drag is as smooth on lighter settings as it is on heavier settings. It's always good to have more drag if need be even if you'll never use it.

Also the way the drag knob tightens down with incremental clicks and gradually tightens up the drag means you won't over do it even with a half turn.

Cheers, Anth

Return to “Squid Fishing”