7/8/2019 bait collecting

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
Bugatti

Re: 7/8/2019 bait collecting

Post by Bugatti » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:26 am

hornet wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:14 pm
Texas wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:33 pm
Nice going lx
2 of the10 look black & the others white
Having never caught squid, are they different species or just from a different area ???
I mean like bream, some are blackish while others are silver, depending on their environment
Cheers Gra
If you Karate chop them just behind the eye balls near the hood they turn completely white instantly.,..

if you get it wrong after multiple chops some parts will be white and others dark colours.

I have mastered the chop to one hit and its all white..

I'm thinking of opening a squid Karate school later this year..

Oh Sensei Hornet , , , , can this Bug be your first Grasshopper :-D

Cheers, Bughopper

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:51 am

Seb85 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:37 pm
Texas wrote:
Nice going lx
Having never caught squid, are they different species or just from a different area ???
I mean like bream, some are blackish while others are silver, depending on their environment
Cheers Gra
I think they dont really have pigments. They can change colours anytime with their blueish blood. Usually pale white when they die.

Welldone btw. Now its the waiting game for snapper season.
Thanks Seb!
I have vacuum sealed some of those from the last catch so now like you said it’s just a waiting game! Can’t wait for my first session :)
Cheers :thumbsup:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:22 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:12 pm
Well done mate
Some beauties there
Cheers mate :)
Yea I kept a few of the bigger ones for a feed :thumbsup:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:56 pm

hornet wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:14 pm
Texas wrote:
Nice going lx
Cheers Gra
If you Karate chop them just behind the eye balls near the hood they turn completely white instantly.,..

if you get it wrong after multiple chops some parts will be white and others dark colours.

I have mastered the chop to one hit and its all white..

I'm thinking of opening a squid Karate school later this year..
Might have to try that technique next time.
If I don’t get it right I’ll be taking a few classes from your school.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:06 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:13 am
Great report LX

Who shall be known from this time on as "The Squid Whisperer" , , , , or "The Mate Humbler". Great that you took the opportunity and got out , , , , as the saying goes , , , , "you snooze and your mates are going to draw moustaches on you" , , , , or something like that.

nice catch and some beauties in there too.

As far as the pigment thing , , , , I thing they all don't have enough crumbs on them :-D , , , , or floured salt & pepper :-D , , , , either way, still the wrong colour , , , , golden brown = yum

Cheers, Bugz
Thanks Mr Bug!
I’m just glad we have some fresh bait sorted and vac packed for the coming weeks!!!
My mates sorting out the pillies as well this weekend. I think he said he’s going to bulk buy about 40 kilos of it :) hopefully some snappers will come our way in the near future :)

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:28 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:06 pm
Bugatti wrote:
Great report LX

Who shall be known from this time on as "The Squid Whisperer" , , , , or "The Mate Humbler". Great that you took the opportunity and got out , , , , as the saying goes , , , , "you snooze and your mates are going to draw moustaches on you" , , , , or something like that.

As far as the pigment thing , , , , I thing they all don't have enough crumbs on them , , , , or floured salt & pepper , , , , either way, still the wrong colour , , , , golden brown = yum

Cheers, Bugz
Thanks Mr Bug!
I’m just glad we have some fresh bait sorted and vac packed for the coming weeks!!!
My mates sorting out the pillies as well this weekend. I think he said he’s going to bulk buy about 40 kilos of it :) hopefully some snappers will come our way in the near future :)
That's the trick too , , , , vac sealing bait.

I don't have a Vac Seal thingymabob , , , , but I use zip lock sandwich bags and make sure I get as much air out of them. The air does "age" the bait and no air minimises freezer burn. The squid when defrosted still has that translucent fresh look. I have small portions in the zip bags and only defrost as I need. I keep un-opened bait as frozen as possible when out so it can go back in the freezer as best as possible.

Bait bucket.png
Bait bucket.png (204.1 KiB) Viewed 1583 times

A mate takes ALL his bait out, and ALL his berley with him , , , , and at the end of the trip it goes back into his chest freezer in the buckets. His bait stinks like a rubbish tip and is awful , , , , the squid is mainly pink looking :o_0: , , , , and he wonders why he catches very little.

Cheers, fresh Bugatti , , , , especially to the Trivago chick (sorry Jim :-D )

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:56 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:28 pm
Lightningx wrote:
Bugatti wrote:
Great report LX

As far as the pigment thing , , , , I thing they all don't have enough crumbs on them , , , , or floured salt & pepper , , , , either way, still the wrong colour , , , , golden brown = yum

Cheers, Bugz
Thanks Mr Bug!

I don't have a Vac Seal thingymabob , , , , but I use zip lock sandwich bags and make sure I get as much air out of them. The air does "age" the bait and no air minimises freezer burn. The squid when defrosted still has that translucent fresh look. I have small portions in the zip bags and only defrost as I need. I keep un-opened bait as frozen as possible when out so it can go back in the freezer as best as possible.

Bait bucket.png

A mate takes ALL his bait out, and ALL his berley with him , , , , and at the end of the trip it goes back into his chest freezer in the buckets. His bait stinks like a rubbish tip and is awful , , , , the squid is mainly pink looking :o_0: , , , , and he wonders why he catches very little.

The vac seal bags and machine have really been handy for me Bug.
The missus and I took it up to merrimbula recently. I’ll fill you in. We went for a week road trip up there for our anniversary.
I put up a thread updating each day but this happened to be during the period you were MIA.
Anyway we had some awesome sessions with some arm stretching truck sambos and tailors from the surf. We ended up keep some for a feed and vac sealed all of them and chucked them in the Waeco for the long drive home. They are now sitting in my big freezer in the garage and ready to eat anytime. Of course they were all bled, cleaned and washed in salt water prior to vac sealing them.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:13 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:28 pm
Lightningx wrote:
Bugatti wrote:
Great report LX

Cheers, Bugz
Thanks Mr Bug!

Bait bucket.png

O Mr bug I’m just sipping on my red atm and what you wrote reminded me of a mate who I used to fish with along time ago.
He never really had much luck with the fish. I would catch but he never really had much luck and I always wondered why till one day I noticed a horrible stench coming my way.
I looked and walked over and saw the stinkiest bait I have ever seen in my life!!! The colour was actually orange and I really don’t know what the bloody hell it was lol
I told him maybe to use some fresher bait in order to have some luck with his catch rate but some people never change unfortunately...

Return to “Squid Fishing”