Black Magic Squid Snatchers - opinions?

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Black Magic Squid Snatchers - opinions?

Post by purple5ive » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:47 pm

Yeah thats why I said rough idea, I wouldn't remember anything past few years let alone that far back.
Did you guys happen to catch anything big like 40 or 50cm hoods and the likes on this jigs?
Whilst squid fishing isn't new here the art of eging has taken a considerable leap since the yesteryears. So im pretty curious to know how the bigger squid were caught those days apart from baited jigs..

Sneaky1
Has liked: 71 times

Post by Sneaky1 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:00 pm

Seniorfisho wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:24 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:13 pm
Our of curiosity, how big were the squid that you guys used to catch 30 years ago with these old crappy jigs you talk about. No need for exact measurement, rough idea would do. Cheers
Varying sizes I would imagine, you're asking me to remember something from a long time ago. We would use the same jigs even after they had started to lose their color, actually, even better if they did. The Razorbacks were one I remember, I think. Also, as I said, it wasn't unusual to wrap old ones in silver foil and they would work just as good. I would say the average size was about size 3
Edit: 30 years ago was only the early 90's, I could go back 45 years if you want. That's when people were using 20kg rods with jigs and still caught just as many as today
Not sure if the "then and now" comparison is warranted - gear aside, the environment / eco health would be a bigger factor, plus to think how many fisherman are out there in the bay compared to "then"?

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:18 pm

Sneaky1 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:00 pm
Seniorfisho wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:24 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:13 pm
Our of curiosity, how big were the squid that you guys used to catch 30 years ago with these old crappy jigs you talk about. No need for exact measurement, rough idea would do. Cheers
Varying sizes I would imagine, you're asking me to remember something from a long time ago. We would use the same jigs even after they had started to lose their color, actually, even better if they did. The Razorbacks were one I remember, I think. Also, as I said, it wasn't unusual to wrap old ones in silver foil and they would work just as good. I would say the average size was about size 3
Edit: 30 years ago was only the early 90's, I could go back 45 years if you want. That's when people were using 20kg rods with jigs and still caught just as many as today
Not sure if the "then and now" comparison is warranted - gear aside, the environment / eco health would be a bigger factor, plus to think how many fisherman are out there in the bay compared to "then"?
I have no doubt it was a different time but I was only saying that all the old methods worked just as good, even handlining them was easy

Seniorfisho

Post by Seniorfisho » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:24 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:47 pm
Yeah thats why I said rough idea, I wouldn't remember anything past few years let alone that far back.
Did you guys happen to catch anything big like 40 or 50cm hoods and the likes on this jigs?
Whilst squid fishing isn't new here the art of eging has taken a considerable leap since the yesteryears. So im pretty curious to know how the bigger squid were caught those days apart from baited jigs..
I remember them being pretty much the same, sometimes the school was big and at others small. I probably wouldn't say that the average size was any bigger than today from memory. Having the luxury of SM these days makes me think that I see a lot more bigger squid being caught these days, it could be the EGI system that is producing bigger squid. I was only throwing out a bit of banter to spice the place up a bit, heck, I spend $38 just on one bass lure and I have heaps of them, lol

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:37 pm

Im just interested to know what was done back in the day, not many people qualify to answer that here, following your reply I figured it can't hurt.
Social media has definitely increased awareness of what's there, when, who and how.
The change from gummy rods and a baited prong to graphite sticks and feather light spin reels with braid and squid jigs have certainly been welcomed by quite a few.
The squid certainly haven't magically gotten bigger through the years, a lot more people are fishing for them these days so the popularity has risen among the ranks.
I have quite a few expensive lures/jigs and also many cheap ones. Both catch their fair share of fish/squid.
Some days the $2 jig will catch your bag in 20 mins, other days you need to break out the unicorns for something to happen.
Cheers

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:34 pm

Seniorfisho wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:24 pm
purple5ive wrote:
I remember them being pretty much the same, sometimes the school was big and at others small. I probably wouldn't say that the average size was any bigger than today from memory. Having the luxury of SM these days makes me think that I see a lot more bigger squid being caught these days, it could be the EGI system that is producing bigger squid. I was only throwing out a bit of banter to spice the place up a bit, heck, I spend $38 just on one bass lure and I have heaps of them, lol
Don’t forget Senior a portion of the fishing community have a propensity to take photos of their catch with outstretched arms. This would make the average catch size appear a little larger.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:50 pm

rb85 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:34 pm
Seniorfisho wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
Don’t forget Senior a portion of the fishing community have a propensity to take photos of their catch with outstretched arms. This would make the average catch size appear a little larger.
pfttt, atleast they have pics to show!!! a brag mate never lies.

Seniorfisho

Post by Seniorfisho » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:53 pm

rb85 wrote:
Seniorfisho wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
yeah that's true. I have seen some ridiculously big photos of squid and sometimes ask myself, how do they get that big if they die after 12 months

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:29 am

Seniorfisho wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:53 pm
rb85 wrote:
Seniorfisho wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
yeah that's true. I have seen some ridiculously big photos of squid and sometimes ask myself, how do they get that big if they die after 12 months
Who are they trying to convince themselves, others or both.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

Seniorfisho

Post by Seniorfisho » Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:58 am

rb85 wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:29 am
Seniorfisho wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:53 pm
rb85 wrote:
Seniorfisho wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
Who are they trying to convince themselves, others or both.
:rf: :rf:

Return to “Squid Fishing”