Gan Craft

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Gan Craft

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:01 pm

To say that I am a little disappointed that the barbs on some of my Gan Craft egi lures have started to rust is a slight understatement, considering they are the most expensive lures I have ever bought and all the cheaps the hooks and barbs are almost as sharp as the day I bought them.

A hint to protect the barbs from rust, is to use the missus finger nail polish, the trick is to do it when she not there and to put the finger polish bottle back to exactly where she left it. :2guns:

Or two guns blazing might be the least of your worries. :a_goodjob: :titanic:

rixter

Re: Gan Craft

Post by rixter » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:40 pm

When finished with lures (and after washing them off in some fresh water ), cover all the hook tips with bits of cork , then bag them in a zip-lock clear sandwich bag with some tuna oil (the berley kind). I do this with all my saltwater lures and they still all look like new / no rust / and sharp .
Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:32 pm

I just spray some inox onto the lure hooks after a session as it is vegetable oil based.

rixter

Post by rixter » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:24 pm

poodoo wrote:I just spray some inox onto the lure hooks after a session as it is vegetable oil based.
Yep that works too, as does wd-40 !. Although the tuna oil , especially with the material type squid jigs , soaks into the material coating and work as a good berley too.
Also putting them in a sealed bag stops any splashes or saltwater in the breeze accesing the lure when your tackle box is open. Removal of the extra air in the bag helps too as even moisture in the air/bag can cause a tad of rust over time.
cheers mate.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

Return to “Squid Fishing”