New member here, please to meet you all :D

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
Denada

Re: New member here, please to meet you all :D

Post by Denada » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:29 am

ducky wrote:You'll be hard pressed catching a squid or numbers of squid off station pier. Better to try around Beaumaris and further south

Fg knot is said to be the best braid to mono knot. I can't tie it. Wish I could. I use the slim beauty and rarely have a problem.

ducky, by that do you mean there aren't many squids around the pier, or the people there don't like/allow people fish at the pier? despite i've been living in melbourne sooooo long i nvr actually been to that side of town =O

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:59 am

Denada wrote:thanks mate, yeah when I was in hk, I lost heaps of jigs from getting snagged under the rocks. Are squids sensitive to how thick the lines are? Originally i bought the 5.5lb for fishing, cos people mentioned about how fish are sensitive to the line diameter and all lol.

Would not using a leader and go straight to my braid main line - jig affect my catch by a lot? I did manage to catch one once using the main braid only (cos i lost a jig and the flouro lead attached, and didn't bring spare) but it was really late in the night and it was raining (soft shower) I did witness two squids following my jig all the way up to the rocks once but backed out when they got close enough, not sure if it was cos they saw the braid or me haha.

no ambient light argh. maybe I'll have to learn to squid during the day then.

can anyone comment on how deep the water is along PPB? and is it rocky? snag a lot? Thanks in advance and the warm welcome!
Hay denada,.. Personally i do NOT! use any leader at all ! cause i like to feel every little current of the water and hit of the jig as im working the jig
sometimes i work the jig real aggressive and sometimes im slack with it - either style catches me squid :)

Cause i am not using any leader at all it is harder to snap the line cause its braid all the way LOL! but i can 95% of the time retrieve my Jig back lmao but ill just end up with a massive clump of weed or a rock of some sort.

To answer your Other question about station pier etc.. TBH ive never seen them caught but i have seen people try.
Not much squid action is there but from the years of walking past like St kilda pier i have seen the odd ink mark or 2....
Your best best would be to go out try more Fresher Clean water Like frankston - Mornington - Rye - Portsea

Goodluck! :reel:
PLENTY!! of FISH!! in the SEA!! but so little TIME!!!

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:49 am

Denada wrote:thanks Michael!

Does anyone know if fishing is allowed out on station pier? I just looked at some google map pics and it looks AWESOME.... but looks like a closed off dock for classy ships :(

or princess/lagoon pier?

Also one more thing, can anyone advise on braid knots? I mean the occasional trouble of the line getting jumbo-ed in to a knot! I don't get many of it anymore, but its always good knowledge on how to avoid it from happening, I personally think the one thing that has the greatest contribution to braid line getting knotted up would be wind! I seem to never have any trouble on a windless trip! oh and my awesome habit of never leaving any slack line hanging lol

anyone wanna give me feedback on this?

Thanks!!!!
Hey mate. Your two biggest bird`s nest creators on a fixed spool reel, are a) Too much line on the spool, and b) Patches of slack and then more tightly packed line on the spool.
For a), just make sure the level of line is a couple of millimetres down from the edge of the spool while the line is fully retrieved, (IE alll the line is on the spool.
For b) Try to keep some tension on the line whenever your retrieving, if your line is slack, and you go to retrieve, just run it through your fingers for a few turns of the handle until you have tension in the line again.
I think from the sound of it, your problem was probably a). You may have cut some line away now if it was really knotted, thus reducing the amount on the spool.
Braid knots are a matter of choice. Get Geoff Wilson`s book of knots, a great investment for a few bucks. I use an improved albright, but each to their own..
Good luck, and welcome to the site..!

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:43 am

Welcome mate , get a 3.5+m Bamboo pole & tie some 30lbs line the length of the pole & then get some silver whiting & put it onto a bait jig . Then head off to Portsea pier or Queenscliff pier & start Jigging , lots of fun using the traditional methods . ;)

Denada

Post by Denada » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:32 pm

CarlG wrote:
Denada wrote:thanks Michael!

Does anyone know if fishing is allowed out on station pier? I just looked at some google map pics and it looks AWESOME.... but looks like a closed off dock for classy ships :(

or princess/lagoon pier?

Also one more thing, can anyone advise on braid knots? I mean the occasional trouble of the line getting jumbo-ed in to a knot! I don't get many of it anymore, but its always good knowledge on how to avoid it from happening, I personally think the one thing that has the greatest contribution to braid line getting knotted up would be wind! I seem to never have any trouble on a windless trip! oh and my awesome habit of never leaving any slack line hanging lol

anyone wanna give me feedback on this?

Thanks!!!!
Hey mate. Your two biggest bird`s nest creators on a fixed spool reel, are a) Too much line on the spool, and b) Patches of slack and then more tightly packed line on the spool.
For a), just make sure the level of line is a couple of millimetres down from the edge of the spool while the line is fully retrieved, (IE alll the line is on the spool.
For b) Try to keep some tension on the line whenever your retrieving, if your line is slack, and you go to retrieve, just run it through your fingers for a few turns of the handle until you have tension in the line again.
I think from the sound of it, your problem was probably a). You may have cut some line away now if it was really knotted, thus reducing the amount on the spool.
Braid knots are a matter of choice. Get Geoff Wilson`s book of knots, a great investment for a few bucks. I use an improved albright, but each to their own..
Good luck, and welcome to the site..!

yeah i think you are definitely right about that, the pack came with 120m of line but the recommendation on my spool says pe 1.0 100m, and the owner put the whole thing onto the spool which would explain it, and yeah i did have to cut down some after giving up trying to undo it hrs later lol

mornington and frankston >______< I only been there once and that was my first ever attempt to be a fisherman, we left really early one morning, got there, had chairs and what nots all ready to go at the end of one of the piers then it went heavy rain by the time we ran to the car we were soaked down to our underwear and we drove home asap. so that side of vic has been a no go ever since lol... I'll go walk along PPB from station pier and keep walking down and see what its like.

let yas know if i catch anything haha :3

Return to “Squid Fishing”