Blairgowrie 7/11/14

Rosebud, Tootgarook, Rye, Blairgowrie, Sorrento
Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Blairgowrie 7/11/14

Post by Basti » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:38 pm

arrived at midday armed with ultralight rod some plastics, and a brand new ecogear zx35 which arrived yesterday. There was one group on the pier who had caught a few just sized whiting and were leaving. water was like crystal and massive ink stains on the pier

I had a few casts with a little flickbait but had no interest shown on it so tied on the blade. A couple of casts along the breakwater and i had a small take which let go after a few seconds. put the next cast into the same spot and got my first flattie for this spring. Undersized but proof that the vibe was a good buy :thumbsup: . a quick pic and back in the water with him.

I spotted the local tailess ray mooching about with a couple of small trev (20cm?) hovering round him looking for scraps. bonked the ray a few times with the vibe but was ignored by the trevs. meh sez i. I walked to the middle set of moorings and dropped the vibe vertically down on the inside, hoping to annoy a toadie or two when it got pounced on by 4 or five much bigger trevs hiding under a boat. Was too busy thinking "ooh thats a better size fish!" to notice one had eaten the vibe. When I finally woke up and set the hook, he took off like a bullet, straight under the pier and out the other side. Drag screamed, rod out of its depth, a sudden slack in the line and the knowledge that you'd just been spooled :snap: . I was really getting to like that lure too...

I took a few moments congratulating myself on my stupidity (4lb leader :doh1: ) then walked to the car for the 2-5kg setup. upped leader to 15lb, zman grub, some sfactor and a locked drag. let the plastic drift down into the same spot but no takes. hopped it up a few times off the bottom and was retrieving when it was taken by another flattie, this time just oversize. not what i was after not a bad consolation prize. pic for the species comp and returned.

No touched for the next half hour till i noticed a school of gars on the inside. Ignored them and was throwing a gulp turtleback when i noticed that they were smashing it on the retrieve. Tried the flickbait on them again but nothing. innnnteresting. finally figured out that scent was the key. tied on the smallest jighead i could find, a 2 inch grub cut in half, lots of scent and many many missed strikes later i had a gar in my hand with a plastic in its bill. no pic as he was wriggling like mad. :-D. Gave him to another fisho for bait and decided to call it a day.

Still pissed off about losing my lure. this is the third time ive hooked a trevally there and three times they've gotten away, once to a pulled hook while netting, once to a knot slipping on the strike, and now to fishing too light.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Blairgowrie 7/11/14

Post by purple5ive » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:57 am

Hahah. You will learn soon enough the pains of light geaar fishing. You caught the dirtiest fighter of them all too. You will land them eventually.
Good work on the other fish. Specially a gar on plastics.
Cheers

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:14 am

Go light to get the bite ;)

Bad luck on the Trev but personally I think you did everything right. I usually fish 4lb around docks these days - I don't think it's too light ....

My opinion on blades is cheaper ones work just as well - can't go too wrong with a piece of flat metal. Grab yourself some fleabay or cheap blades and go back and even the score :)

I find 3 - 4 dollar ones are the sweet spot - any cheaper can be a bit suspect. I use evercatch blades myself.

Sounds like a great way to spend the day and good job on the gar :)

sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Post by sloth » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:17 am

Oh and on the trevs - try dropshotting a worm plastic past them. They're suckers for it.

Fishn104

Post by Fishn104 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:35 am

Great report mate. Payback is a beeeeach! Lol you'll get him!
FISHING AWAKENS THE SOUL!!

Fishing Victoria Comp SPEC1516. Total: 326cm
FRESH:
Redfin 44cm. Yellow belly 39cm. Carp 81cm. Rainbow trout 33cm.

SALT: mullet 38cm. Trevally 43cm. KG Whiting 28cm. Squid 20cm.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:57 am

Great read trevs sure punch above their weight

spudtrans
Has liked: 30 times

Post by spudtrans » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:30 am

great report thanks

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:05 am

Trevors, structure and 4lb leader, Basti, you crack me up man....lol..talk about a sense of adventure...good report mate, I definately need to get in on some trevally action...

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:28 am

sloth wrote:Oh and on the trevs - try dropshotting a worm plastic past them. They're suckers for it.
I was about to ask that, never had any luck on trevs on lures, might give this a go during the week.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Return to “Rosebud to Sorrento/Portsea”